Have you ever quit smoking cold turkey?

I'm 19 and smoked for 6 years. I really want to quit now. I get chest pains from time to time, and tired of coughing and phlegm build up. I didn't have the will-power before because I tried patches and gum and it didn't work. However since I have developed self-control, I want to try on my own "cold turkey". How hard is it? Have you ever been successful?

Favorite Answer

Like many others I smoked when I was young but managed to kick the habit before I was totally hooked, I was lucky and suffered no damage to my health. But for a close friend it was different, even though she was only a moderate smoker, her health was being seriously affected and getting worse with time. Now this is where I really sympathize with smokers. She like many smokers knew the dangers and had genuinely tried many different ways to quit smoking. She tried patches, hypnosis and read several books on the subject of quitting, nothing had worked. She always ended back at square one, knowing she needed to quit, but how, nothing had a lasting effect. That was until she tried Smoke Deter.

So why am I telling this, because I played a small part in her success. You see I heard about Smoke Deter through my son, his best mate had quit smoking using Smoke Deter and I convinced my friend to try it. She was very skeptical, but I was so concerned about her health that I said that if it didn't work I would pay for it, so she had nothing to lose and that convinced her. That was a year and five months ago, it worked and she is no longer a smoker, she has never has the urge to smoke since she quit using Smoke Deter, that's a fact and it's the only product she tried that she's happy to tell others about.

Smoke Deter is an herbal based liquid oral spray that is used 3 times a day, this is also supplemented with herbal pills which when combined is very effective at reducing your nicotine cravings. How quickly it works depends on the extent of your habit, it can work as quickly as 2 weeks or may take 3 months, regardless of the time, your health is worth the effort to kick your smoking habit.

Smoke Deter also offers a lifetime free membership support program, so you are never on your own, help is available 24 hours a day if you feel the need, like if your resolve is weakening. That's what I like about Smoke Deter it changes your whole attitude to smoking, it works on your mind as well as your body. Unfortunately I've seen the damage smoking has done within my own family and also in my circle of friends, consequently I'm fully aware just how hard it is to stop smoking without some kind of help. I've seen first hand how Smoke Deter helped my friend quit smoking and so it's not surprising she can't say enough about it. So if this article brings Smoke Deter to your attention and as a result helps you kick the smoking habit, then for me writing about it has been worthwhile.

So if you've been wondering if these quit smoking products work, well I guess some do and some don't, but one that has my recommendation is Smoke Deter, I've personally seen it work when other methods failed. I'm happy to pass that information on so that others looking for a safe natural way to quit can try Smoke Deter if they wish.

If you would like more helpful information on Smoke Deter or other free quit smoking information, you may like to visit the url in the source box below. It seems to confirm some of my comments and is dedicated to helping smokers improve their health, fitness and beat the smoking habit.

Yes, i did. I smoked for about 10 years and then i decide that this cigarette does not own me and I quit "cold turkey" just like that. I stopped for about 4 years and decided to have a drag off someone else's cigarette while in a bar and drinking and then i felt hooked again. I smoked then for around 5 years and quit cold turkey again, finally started smoking again a couple more years, but this time i could not stop so after requesting (in Church) that they PRAY for me to stop smoking, within 2 weeks I had stopped and have not smoked a cigarette since, no cravinglings and it don't bother me to be with people that smoke in the car with me. What does bother me is to smell dirty ash trays or lingering smoke on peoples body and hair. I have been cigarette free now since 2000. Now that I know how I probably smelled to other people. I am real happy that I quit. Good Luck

Well, you can actually make it really easy.

Cold turkey is good - but do it a little differently. You just need sort out your head BEFORE you quit. Trying to do it afterwards is what makes it hard.

If you prepare yourself properly, you can easily override the withdrawal pangs completely and it won't bother you at all to be in situations or with people where before you smoked.

Be glad you don't have to do that anymore - that you are getting rid of this filthy addiction. Never think you will miss it - that's what makes it hard. But instead see yourself as happy, content and proud that you've done it.

Here's what you need to do in very, very short form:

1. Decide that you get nothing out of smoking (it’s only the truth)

2. Pick a quit - date so you have some time to prepare

3. Look forward to quitting (get excited about it) - essential!

4. Quit… easily

Source(s): www.quitdude.com

I quit after 37 years,simply went cold turkey and never looked back that was 10 yrs ago.I still fancy a cigarette now and again but I know I will never smoke again,be strong and be true to yourself, forget all the trash about gums and patches etc they were invented purely to extract the cash from your pocket that you would otherwise spend on tobacco, Just reckon up and gloat at all the money you are not paying in taxes for the government to squander on useless pathetic waste of time lost causes.

Source(s): Experience

My mom stopped cold turkey, but she has an addiction problem. For example, when she quit smoking, her addiction moved to gambling, but she's pretty good at it. Fair trade off in my opinion. However, my dad quit cold-turkey and has been fine... I hear the patches and gum help but it's still just another addiction.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I quit smoking cold turkey years ago, and you can do it. Of course it's not easy, the tobacco companies have gone to great lengths to make sure that their clients are as hooked as they can be. Just make up your mind and resolve to not give in. The first few days are difficult but it gets easier as you detox and create a habit of not smoking. Whenever you feel like giving in, remind yourself that you are a non-smoker and non-smokers don't smoke.

Good luck.

i cough like a lot too from smoking i did quit cold turkey for about 5 days nothing really happened i didnt really crave them but i wanted them a little then i came back form the hospital thats why i didnt smoke since i was in the hospital and i smoke since then but now ever since then i notice i throw up sometimes from smokeing just try to maybe do that step if it wont work try nicotine patches

the good news is that i now have been quit for over 5 years.. i quit trying to quit alone, and joined a support group.. i attend nicotine anonymous meetings both locally and on line.. on line voice meetings are as close as your computer, and you can attend while still smoking, before actually attempting a quit.. however you decide to quit good luck, there is simply no wrong way to quit!!

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.

Source(s): check out this site for more info, as well as local meetings http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/ check out this site for several daily online voice meetings http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/voicesofnicot...

It is going to be hard, I quit by gradually cutting down on my nicotine and chewing straws. I started by counting how many I smoked and then each day tried to go one less. Sometimes I would only smoke a half a cig, and save half for later. You are smart to try to quit now it becomes harder as you smoke for more years and you get alot unhealthier as well. Good Luck, but you can do it.

Quit Smoking Cigarette With QuitSmokingMagic - http://Go.QuitSmokingMagics.com