? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

I could use some help, please? Answeerrrr! xD?

I already posted this up, but recieved no answers, and I'd really appreciate if someone helped me.

I'm writing a story, and the main character's 10-year-old little sister has Luekemia. I don't know much about Luekemia, so I was wondering if anybody could tell me about it? Does she have to die, or can she surrvive it? Can you think of a different disease that would be better? Any help is appreciated xD

Thanks!

I wasn't asking if she should survive, I was asking if it was possible.

This isn't what the whole story is, either. It's a love story, this is just something that is going on in the girl's life at the time.

Best Answer

Question #1: Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. It starts in the bone marrow, the soft tissue inside most bones. Bone marrow is where blood cells are made.

When you are healthy, your bone marrow makes:

■White blood cells, which help your body fight infection.

■Red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all parts of your body.

■Platelets, which help your blood clot.

When you have leukemia, the bone marrow starts to make a lot of abnormal white blood cells, called leukemia cells. They don't do the work of normal white blood cells, they grow faster than normal cells, and they don't stop growing when they should.

Over time, leukemia cells can crowd out the normal blood cells. This can lead to serious problems such as anemia, bleeding, and infections. Leukemia cells can also spread to the lymph nodes or other organs and cause swelling or pain.

Question#2: She can die or she can survive. This is your book and you should decide.

Question#3: I know this is going to sound horrible but a really bad disease is terminal cancer. Which is cancer in the brain. It is very difficult to survive if someone has this type of cancer. I think (even though it is sad) that a girl with terminal cancer and only has months to live makes for a better story plot.

Google it. Half of writing is research. But yes, she can recover. You ARE the writer, right? You could have the doctors tell them that she won't live and she does. You can do whatever you want, but you need to research it so that you can back it up.