Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

what would a catholic like to recieve for christmas?

im going to my teachers house for christmas [shes cool, not teacher-ish] anyhow im not religious at all, i accept everyones faith but i just chose not to have one. anyhow i want to get her a really good christmas present, im going to paint her a picture of baby jesus, but what can i buy her? any ideas?

• Lv 5
    Best Answer

Wow, you're going to paint her a picture of baby Jesus? AND you're also wondering what else to get her that pertains to her religion even though you are a non-religious person? I wish my non-religious friends were as thoughtful as you are!

If you really don't think your taking the time to paint her a picture of her Lord is a sufficient enough of a gift (*scratches head*), a rosary is a good gift, though it is a little cliche like giving candles and bath stuff as gifts for women, because it's a guaranteed winner, and a rosary is not too pricey for you, depending on the quality of the rosary (prayer beads are $0.00+). But if she's Catholic, it's very likely she owns a minimum of 2 rosaries already.

You could try Catholic Chaplet prayer beads rather than the traditional rosary, and give with it an instructional prayer booklet for the Chaplet beads of your choosing (a little booklet is usually under $5)

Here are some Catholic Chaplet prayer beads examples to choose from:

Chaplet (Little Crown) of the Infant Jesus, made up of three and twelve beads.

Chaplet of the Sacred Heart, consisting of 33 small beads, 6 large beads, a centerpiece, a Crucifix and a Sacred Heart Medal.

Little Chaplet of the Holy Face, to honor the Five Wounds of Jesus Christ, composed of a cross and six large beads and thirty-three small.

Chaplet of the Precious Blood, consisting of thirty-three beads in seven groups.

Chaplet of Black Madonna of Częstochowa, made up of nine beads with a crucifix and a medal of Our Lady of Czestochowa.

Chaplet of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, consisting of a medal of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, three separate beads, and 12 additional beads.

Chaplet of the Immaculate Conception, also called the Crown of Stars, consisting of 3 groups of 4 beads, with a medal of the Immaculate Conception.

Chaplet (Rosary) of the Seven Sorrows of Mary, made up of seven groups of seven beads. Also known as the Dolour beads.

Chaplet of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, composed of eight brown, eight red and eight crystal beads.

Chaplet of Saint Anthony, made up of thirteen sets of three beads.

Chaplet of Saint Joseph, which is divided into 15 groups of four beads consisting of one white and three purple beads.

Chaplet of Saint Patrick, made up of twelve beads symbolizing the twelve perils of St. Patrick

Chaplet of Saint Philomena, consisting of three white beads and thirteen red beads.

Bridgettine Rosary, consisting of six decades of ten beads each. There are three additional beads at the end.

Little Flower Chaplet, made of one large bead and twenty-four smaller beads.

Chaplet of the Way of the Cross, made of fifteen groups of three beads, etc.

Chaplet of Saint Michael the Archangel, comprising nine groups of four beads each, consisting of three Hail Marys and one Our Father in each. (Each of the nine groups is said in honor of one of the nine choirs of angels.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplet_(Prayer)

I recommend going to your local Catholic gift shop, they will help you with finding chaplets and booklets (since I'm sure this is all Chinese to you.)

I, as a practicing Catholic, would certainly prefer a different set of prayer beads than the traditional rosary. (I have 4 rosaries but none of the prayer beads listed above, heck, I even got a free rosary when I converted to the Catholic faith from my parish) I can only speak for myself, but I think a unique chaplet coupled with the instruction booklet for a "new" Catholic meditative prayer would be a great gift!

I will star this question for my Catholic contacts, I'm sure they have some ideas for you also.

• The paintings an interesting idea and hand made things are absolutely wonderful to receive. But if you're not sure, you can get stuff to make a rosary at stores like AC Moore and Michaels and there's instructions you can find to make one here, http://www.ehow.com/how_4829876_beaded-rosary.html , and on numerous other sites. Hope this helps. Happy holidays!

• nadem

particular, some rejoice it as secular Christmas, some rejoice a trip referred to as yuletide, or wintry climate Solstice in a fashion comparable to Christmas... initially, Christmas became a "transportable ceremonial dinner" interior the early days of the Catholic Church. What meaning is that it became left as much as guy or woman congregations to rejoice the beginning of Christ whilst ever they needed to time table any such party, and that they did no longer rejoice it the way they do now. Later they set the date to coincide with the Pagan wintry climate Solstice celebrations, for a sort of motives, possibly because of the fact all human beings else became doing something that component of twelve months, yet in addition only to set a particular date on the calender. Christmas became no longer particularly celebrated the way we do now till extremely at present, in common terms the final couple hundred years, it became many times an afternoon of prayer and fasting... maximum folk seem forward to a season of sunshine in in spite of kit it is presented in, it facilitates us all in the process the dark, long nights and shorter days of wintry climate, and provides us time to spend with our kin as quickly as we will not have as plenty probability in the process the busier summer time, this is all sturdy.... greetings of the season to you....

Don't let her faith play into it, that's just like asking what would a baptist want for christmas, their religious faith is a mute point right now.

• Skully

I'd be happy with just the painting, but maybe candles, slippers, chocolates or a best seller.

uhh... so you like to follow everyone's religion but not your own???

Are you a religion anthropologist or something?

Catholics, Jews, Buddhists, Moslims... all like the same kinds of gifts...

What kind of gifts someone likes isn't solely determined by their faith. Christmas is commercialized. An anthropologist would know that.

You can get her a rosary. See the following promises.

The rosary is explained here:

http://www.medjugorje.org/rosary.htm

The fifteen promises of Mary to Christians who recite the rosary:

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against Hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.

8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in Paradise.

9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

God bless!

Dave

how about a holy water font, if she doesn't already have one. or a statue of mary/jesus/joseph

Source(s): my gran is catholic

A DILDO. they love there dildos