Dangle_Rocket asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

HELP. Horse wont Jump?!?

my 9year arab x gelding is just getting into jumping so he isnt amazing at it but i ride him into a pole and he will just stop.Well since then i got him over a pole and i put a cross pole up.

i rode him straight into it (trotting) and he just stopped and wouldnt move..either that or he just runs through it.

i ride with a crop but only use it if nessessary and ive been told by instructers and friends i ride him well.

What else could i do to make him get over these?

hes done it before but this time he just wont move! i cant think of anything else to try =\

ive even followed other ponies over but he just runs through them.

What can i do to make him NOT run through it without hurting him?

please answer , thanks

• GOODD
    Best Answer

How about making sure that there isn't a physical problem like navicular, thrush, laminitis or vision problems that he's refusing jumps. He's stopping for a reason and my guess would be pain.

Source(s): Former hunter, former eventer, current Dressage rider

You should first check that it isn't a physical problem that is not making the horse unwilling to jump.If it isn't this check the tack fits etc etc. once you've had everythign checked and all si fine you should idelaly be spending a while getting the horse just used to ground poles not just one (more like 3 or 4) and do them in walk trot and canter ( make sure the poels are set out wide enough for the horses strides in each gait.) once you horse is perfectly comfortable tis, then you can start thinking about raising the poles (only a little) and gradually build up to a small fence. You could also consider getting older more experienced people to ride him to see if it is just your riding (you could eb nervous which can alter a persosnriding without them noticing it). You should take time getting him, if he's never jumped before or has had a bad experiences with it ( being pulled in the mouth alot) he will take longer to get over this (Ofcourse he may just be being stubborn in which case use lots of leg, use a whip to abck up your aids if he doesen't listen to your leg and voice and lots of praise when he gets it right ) Also i woudl suggest prehaps loose schoolign and lunging him over jumps too. (Oh and always u

• zakiit

Ok. He is trying to tell you something.

Get his teeth, back, tack, especially the saddle, by a saddler, legs checked, something might be hurting. As a horse changes levels of fitness he will change shape and the saddle may need stuffing, stuffing removed or moved around inside the saddle to make it fit better.

If all the above are in order start by warming him up properly on the flat, walk and trot and canter on both reins to get him supple, listening to you, use loops and serpentines and circles, changing reins as frequently as possible in as many ways as you can think of and generally moving forwards.

Then, with assistance start with trotting poles again - if you have enough poles you could place some along the centre line, along the diagonal, on the inside track etc. Allow him to stretch down and long to see what he is doing.

Then you could try poles and a small (and I mean small) cross bar with trotting poles leading into it with one stride (horse stride) between the last pole and the fence.

Sit up tall, sit deep and drive with your seat and legs, hold the contact but be flexible in your elbows, the horse will naturally lower his head to look at the bottom of the fence and place his hindlegs for take off. Don't hurry his strides. Let the poles take him in, but don't stop riding and look ahead into the distance. If you look down at the fence or look back the message to him is that it is something scary! Fold as he is going up, but not overly so, just enough to take your weight out of the saddle and go with it being careful not to jab him in the mouth at any point, before, during or after the fence and land in the saddle gently, without a bang. He could be anxious about this. I know you do not want to hurt him but sometimes if he gives an unexpectantly big jump you might catch him at some point and it could hurt him.

Use your voice as well and if you have a schooling whip you might try using that a couple of strides in to remind him you mean business.

If he does jump make a good fuss of him and keep riding forward, no switching off.

Do it up to 4 times on each rein and then leave it at that, either go for a hack or a bit more flat work but you MUST finish on a good note.

Source(s): Riding instructor, trained with Paul Schockemoehle in Germany at the height of his riding career. Started his younger horses.

Start with trotting poles and gradually work up to different heights, then to cross poles and then to a small parrallel jump.

He is just a little nervous - are your poles brightly coloured? some natural ones may help him in his confidence. You could even take him on your regular hack but take a detour to a wooded area and have him jump over small branches. He may be more comfortable jumping in a natural environment over objects that are less threatening. Plus he will find it fun too. My horse had great fun jumping over fallen trees!

Whenever he does anything right e.g. approching the poles, remind him he is doing a good job.

Tap him on his hind quater to encourage a jumping motion nearer the pole. Shorten your reins slightly when approaching.

Little by little for horses as they get irriatated when doing repetitive activities.

See if anyone else at your stables could have a go at jumping him?

He will come along eventually :)

Source(s): Owner of a nervous horse who is now an excellent jumper.
  • Laurie

Don't force it. He's not a jumper oh well. If you force it more and more everyday the horse will dislike you more and more he probably already doesn't trust you. My horse and I have an incredible bond i whistle and he'll come. But he's not a jumper just an arabian and I don't force him to try and jump. I like jumping and since he trusts me so much he'll jump if I want to like if we are going really fast and then I don't want to stop i lean forward relax stay calm and let go of the reins. Also if your nervous the horse can feel and will be nervous too. Gte him to trust you way more before you try jumping again go out and pet him talk to him take him on trail rides then after like 8 months or a year try again when he completely trusts you.

I have a 9 year old QH and I just started him on poles too! ^^ Well, actually I did cavaleties(sp), or ground/trot poles, for a while. I kept doing them until he consistently didn't hit them with his feet. We don't actually have many ground poles, so I used the cross rails and put them on the ground and made a nice little obstacle. After he was good at that, I mad a VERY small cross rail(Maybe 1/2 ft) and put two or 3 ground poles ahead of it. So he'd be concentrating on picking up his feet and go over the jump. My horse was scared at first too, but before trotting it or anything, I walked him through it a couple of times. I'd trot around the ring, then slow him to a fast paced walk when we turned towards the poles. i kept leg on him so he'd want to go forward faster, but also pulled back a tad on the bit so he'd feel it. I did this maybe 3 or 4 times and then I trotted over it. After he got pretty goo at that, I continuously raised the cross rails over time(only when I felt he was ready). I ust started him recently, and he's jumping just 1 ft right now. But he loves to jump! I cantered him around the ring and past the jumps a few times too, so he wouldn't spook them. If he refused, i backed him(if i was walking), or turned just past the ground poles and picked up a trot and did it again. NEVER just go around the ring again if he refuses a jump.

He'll think that he can get away with it. And trust, you definitely don't want that. Hold a crop in your hand, that might help too. Don't use it on him, but he'll feel it and get the idea. When your approaching the jump, squeeze harder with your legs and tap the crop(gently) against his shoulder if he continues to refuse. When you first start trotting over cavaleties, ground poles, and smaller jumps, you don't have to go iinto 2-point. This might confuse him and make his job harder, as he'll think he has to jump higher than neccassary. Good luck and have fun! :)

Source(s): my horsey, Koda ^^

I think that practice will make perfect in this case!

Obviously just make sure on your approach he is going forward, straight, don't give him a chance to hesitate & most of all be confident - if you are giving him the slightest hint that you're unsure of his ability then he will lose his own confidence & be reluctant to jump.

Try & make sure you have a pole on the ground directly under the jump for a ground line, so he can judge how high the jump is on the approach.

If you are riding in a martingale or any tack that restricts head movement then try him without it, as horses can actually see better the higher they hold their heads! So if his head is forced to drop then he won't be able to see the jump as well as he could :]

Just remember that a jump is out of a horses vision field once they are about four feet (110cm) from it, so keep a steady rhythm all the way up to it & imagine yourself popping over it effortlessly :] Good luck!! x

Source(s): Instructor, diploma in equine management & having trained several youngsters to jump.

Do you smack him in the mouth with the bits when you ride? Do you land hard in the saddle when you land? Does the saddle fit? You horse wouldn't be running through the jump if there wasn't pain or a training problem. Try working with a trainer, she can tell you what you are doing wrong and how to fix it.

Try to just walk him over it and get someone to lead him over it,

you can also try lunging him over jumps (on a lunge line or free jumping) so get him used to the action. Make sure that your saddle fits him as that could cause him pain as well as if you are catching him in the mouth over the jump, give him lots of slack in the reins and encourage him forward with your seat and your voice rather than just using leg,

Good luck and Happy trails!

Source(s): Rider Trainer Coach

Did you start him out right? Meaning, begin with ground poles (trot) poles, working up to cross rails, then low rails?

Usually it is a lack of training that causes this. Do you have a properly fitting saddle?