Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Musical Hierarchy (Band Ranking Levels)?

I’m an obsessive bastard who likes ranking things. So what I want you to do is rank a bunch of bands on levels from A to F (including E), and try to get at least 5 bands on each level if you can. I’ll be adding a God level above the A level, and a The Emptiness level below the F level in mine. Do this if you want. I’ll post mine in a sec but I want to see how you would do this. Any genre btw.

BQ: Do you like ranking things?

BQ2: What are some fun things to do?

Update:

BQ3: What is your most recent musical discovery?

BQ4: On a scale of 1-10, how much fun are you having right now?

Update 2:

Ok Wire and String, yeah that is a good idea, something like this:

God Level: The undisputed Gods of music, the best music ever: Miles Davis, Stravisnky, John Coltrane, Beethoven, Bach

A Level: Exceptional, some of the best music ever: King Crimson, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, The Beatles, George Gershwin, Charles Mingus, Aaron Copeland, The Doors, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa, Kevin Gilbert, Stevie Wonder, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, Pat Metheny Group, U.K., Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Debussy, Ravel, Steve Reich

B Level: Really great bands, not perfect but still have plenty of fantastic material: Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Van der Graaf Generator, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine, Camel, Steely Dan, The Beach Boys, Queens of the Stone Age, Frost*, Echolyn, Dream Theater, Tool, The Who, The Kinks, Deep Purple, Metallica, Death, Thelonius Monk, The Moody Blues, Electric Light Orchestra, Peter Gabriel, John Lennon, Paul McCartney

Update 3:

C Level: Good bands, often really good but with some weaker aspects too: Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Police, Oingo Boingo, Renaissance, Death, Isis, Opeth, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Can, Elton John, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails, Procul Harum, Joe Satriani, Beck, Queensryche, Marillion, White Willow, The Hollies, George Harrison

D Level: Pretty good/decent, flawed though: Radiohead, Kansas, The Byrds, Van Halen, The Zombies, The Mars Volta, A Tribe Called Quest, Talking Heads, Black Flag, Daft Punk, Bob Dylan

E Level: Mediocre, but not without redeeming quality: Bruce Springsteen, Blur, Eagles, Coldplay, Miley Cyrus (she goes this high because of the comedic value)

F Level: Bad music: Creed, Tori Amos, Arcade Fire, Kenny G, Motley Crue, Linkin Park

Update 4:

The Emptiness: The kind of **** that makes serial killers (or just sociopaths in my case): Soulja Boi, The Fray, Secondhand Serenade, Silverchair, Bush, Jonas Brothers, Robyn, Limp Bizkit, Insane Clown Posse

Mind you, C Level and even D Level bands are still solid bands in my system, great bands even, my rankings work that way, E Level ones are just mediocre but still have redeeming quality... only total **** goes on the F Level or below.

But you can use the levels however you choose.

Update 5:

Wire & String, sounds good. I just think it's fun to rank the really terrible bands too. :P

Update 6:

Maybe Deep Purple should go down to a C... and put The Doors in level B I forgot them.

Update 7:

Mingus maybe gets a GOD level from me as well... and I know you explained your ratings, but it feels weird seeing The Stones and Zep with an F. :P I'm not the biggest fan but still. F does kind of stand for fail. But no worries, it's your system.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

ok, here we go, let me preface this by saying i enjoy and listen to all the bands i am about to rank. i dont see the point in listing the jonas brothers (as an example) or some other group that i have barely listened to as being "emptiness". so for the purposes of this poll BEING RANKED F IS A GOOD THING SO DONT BE MAD AT ME IF I RANKED YOUR FAVORITE AS F. Also understand that this is effectively going to be the front of a bell curve, very few of the best getting to be more and more. we can assume any amount of rankings lower than F for bands that i dont enjoy and listen to. also, of course, i dont imagine i will end up ranking every band i listen to, it is going to be pretty arbitrary. I RECOMMEND EVERY ONE OF THESE BANDS. Understand? great!

GOD

James Brown/the JBs, Fela Kuti, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Charles Mingus

A

Sun Ra, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Howlin Wolf, Captain Beefheart, Ornette Coleman,

B

The Stooges, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Muddy Waters, Mississippi John Hurt, Eric Dolphy, Aretha Franklin, Wilmoth Houdini,

C

Antibalas, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Bob Marley, The Skatalites, The Violent Femmes, Blind Willie McTell, Booker T and the MGs, Lord Beginner, Lord Invader, Funkadelic,

D

Junior Wells, Medeski Martin and Wood, Elvis Costello, Charlie Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, Alton Ellis, Phyllis Dillon, Jim Murple Memorial, The Talking Heads, Son House, Taj Mahal, Les Claypool, Ali Farka Toure, Beirut, Desmond Dekker, Big Maybelle, Charlie Hunter, Dr. John, Hound Dog Taylor, Koko Taylor, They Might Be Giants, John Lennon

E

T Bone Walker, Cab Calloway, The Mountain Goats, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Afroskull, Lowell Fulson, Pink Floyd, Cream, The Aggrolites, Big Joe Turner, John Coltrane, The Felice Brothers, Delroy Wilson, Otis Redding, The Four Tops, Sam Cooke, CW Stoneking, Robert Johnson, Big Mama Thorton, Dan Reeder, Hank Williams, The Cramps, Bo Diddley, Lord Kitchener, Charley Patton, David Bowie, Public Enemy, Huey Smith, Joe Henderson,

F

The Rolling Stones, The Greatful Dead, Club D'Elf, Rufus Thomas, Jimmy McCracklin, Led Zeppelin, The Tiger Lillies, Neil Young, Al Green, Smokey and the Miracles, Ry Cooder, Albert King, 13th Floor Elevators, Bill Frissell, John Scofield, African Music Machine, Digable Planets, Al Trout's Washboard Band, Baby Huey, Henry Cow, Badfinger, The Be Good Tanyas, Bela Fleck, Richard Hell, Dr. Dog, Bobby Previte, Clare Fader, Horace Andy, Dave Bartholomew, Femi Kuti, Hank Ballard,

(in progress)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

God: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Rush, Hawkwind, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd

A: (Incredible) Neil Young, The Doors, The Scorpions, UFO, The Rolling Stones, Judas Priest, Uriah Heep, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Wishbone Ash, Zebra, Metallica, Journey, Santana, Alice In Chains, Therion

B: (Amazing) Styx, Triumph, Cream, The J Geils Band, The Doobie Brothers, Ozzy Osbourne, Eloy, King Crimson, Helloween, Iced Earth, Mountain, Whitesnake, CCR, Rainbow, Motorhead

C: (Fantastic) Montrose, Nazareth, Spooky Tooth, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jeff Beck, ELP, Budgie, U2, The Cars, Sammy Hagar, Dio, CSN&Y

D: (Excellent) Alice Cooper, Kansas, Opeth, Joe Satriani, Praying Mantis, Jefferson Starship, Golden Earring, Bob Seger, The Jayhawks, Nightwish, Ted Nugent

E: (Solid) Fleetwood Mac, Robin Trower, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tom Petty, Diamond Head, April Wine, Joe Walsh, Van Halen, Sorcery, The Allman Brothers, Detective, Boston, The Clash, Warhorse

F: (Good) Eric Clapton, Duran Duran, Night Ranger, Heart, Queen, The Eagles, Bob Dylan, David Gilmour, Krokus, Hall & Oates, Iron Butterfly, Alcatrazz, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, Quatermass, REM, Procol Harum, Stratovarius, Witchfynde, MSG, Love, Saga, Grand Funk Railroad

BA: I love ranking stuff

BA2: Blow stuff up, boink Simone Simons I'm guessing

BA3: Manilla Road

BA4: 2.5?

• J
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A: Bad Brains, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Flipper, King Crimson, Mudhoney, Nirvana, David Bowie, The Clash, Iggy and the Stooges, Velvet Underground, Dead Kennedys, The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, The Germs, Screaming Trees, Blue Cheer, Joy Division, The Wipers, Jimi Hendrix, Syd Barrett, The Doors, Ramones, and THE WHO,

B: Butthole Surfers, Mad Season, My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses, Talking Heads, Fang, Fear, Black Flag, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Fugazi, Husker Du, Operation Ivy, Megadeth, Booker T and the MG's, Scratch Acid, The Feelies, Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, Rites of Spring, Meat Puppets, Sonic Youth, The Breeders, The Cramps, Jesus Lizard, and REM

C: Radiohead, B-52's, Love and Rockets, MDC, Devo, The Specials, The Replacements, Violent Femmes, Metallica, No Age, Deerhunter, Pere Ubu, Mission of Burma, Big Black, Flaming Lips,

D: Depeche Mode, TSOL, Discharge, Slayer, Beck, Bob Marley, Beat Happening, Galaxie 500, and Spacemen 3

E: Blur, 7 Seconds, Gorilla Biscuits, Anthrax, Mr Bungle, and Libertines

F: Linkin Park, Attack Attack, Brokencyde, Jonas Bros, Hannah Montana, Creed, Blink 182, Sum 41, Nickelback, Michael Jackson, U2, Genesis, Lady Gaga, Tokio Hotel, Paramore, Sublime, Phil Collins, All American Rejects, Maroon 5, Limp Bizkits....just too many to name

i am also obsessed with ranking bands and songs and albums

BA: ehh, theyre ok

BA2: play nioght tag/man hunt with your friends is always a blast!!!

BA3: No Age, Deerhunter, Mad Season, and Violoent Femmes to name a few

BA4: 7

• poopoo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

GOD LEVEL

DEATHSTARS

the 69 eyes

rank A

vains of jenna

kiss

lordi

b.f.m.v

turmion katilot

sean paul

slipknot

the used

rank B

KoRn

steel panther

gemini five

dope stars inc.

hardcore superstar

ozzy ozbourne

rob zombie

rammstien

rank C

dimmu borgir

body call

samael

mindless self indulgence

loud n nasty

lady gaga

twisted sister

owl city

a rocket to the moon

panic! at the disco

bowling for soup

crash diet

rank D

cradle of filth

madina lake

the rasmus

guns n roses

hammerfall

satrycon

girls generation

super junior

w (doubble u)

nickelback

tokio hotel

rank E

eminiem

linkin park

hicico

charon

snake skin

rank F

aiere and mieri

cinema bizzre

smashing pumpkins

taylor swift

THE EMPTINESS

fightstar

jonas brothers

demon hunter

breaking benjeman

BQ:of course i do!

BQ2:dance, make cookies but add ur own stuff and make it go completely wrong..tee hee hee

BQ3: KISS, obviously i knew they existed but ive only just started geting into theyre music.

BQ4: 7 (im with my mate)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A.

Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Peter Hammill,

Split Enz (1973-1976), PFM, le Orme, Banco, Ange, Roxy Music, Be-Bop Deluxe, Brian Eno, Gong, Horslips, Jethro Tull, & Soft Machine

B.

Acqua Fragile, Adelbert Von Deyen, Akritas, Alphataurus, Amon Düül (Ger), Amon Düül (UK), Amon Düül II, Anthony Phillips, Aphrodite's Child, Apoteosi - 1975 - 5 - Apoteosi, Armageddon (for Phoenix, really), Art Bears, Arti E Mestieri - "Articolazioni"(1974) - 2a parte, Ash Ra Tempel, Atoll, Babylon, Biglietto Per L'Inferno, Biosphere, Bleep, Blocco Mentale, Brand X, Bryan Ferry, Budgie, BVC, Byrne & Eno, Camel, Campo Di Marte, Can, Caravan, Catapilla, Cervello, Chris Squire, Christian Décamps, Christian Décamps et Fils, City Boy, Cluster, Cluster & Eno, Cosmic Couriers, Crack the Sky, Cressida, Daevid Allen, Daevid Allen Trio, Dashiell Hedayat, Dave Cousins, Earth and Fire, East of Eden, Edgar Froese, Egg, Einstürzende Neubauten, Eloy, , E-man, , Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Eno & Cale, Eno & Harold Budd, Eno & J. Peter Schwalm., Eno & Jah Wobble, Eno & Jon Hassell, Eno & Sinfield, Eno & U2, Errata Corrige, Espíritu, Fantasy, Far East Family Band, Faust, Francis Décamps, Fripp & Eno, Fuhrs & Frohling, Genfuoco, Gentle Giant, Gilli Smyth, Grobschnitt, Group 87, Gruppo Sportivo, Gryphon, Guru Guru, Halfnelson. (Sparks), Happy the Man, Harmonia, Harmonium, Harold Budd, Hatfield and the North, Hawkwind, Henry Cow, Slapp Happy, Hoelderlin, Horslips, Il Balletto Di Bronzo, Il Paese Dei Balocchi, Il Volo, Isao Tomita, J.E.T., Jade Warrior, Jean-Michel Jarre, Jon Anderson, Kate Bush, Kayak, Kevin Ayers, Khan, King Crimson, Kit Watkins, Kitarō, Klaus Schulze, Kluster, Kraftwerk, La Düsseldorf, Laraaji, Latte E Miele, Le Orme, Locanda Delle Fate, L'Uovo Di Colombo, Magma, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Matching Mole, Maxophone, Mellow Candle, Memoriance, Metamorfosi, Mia, Michael Hoenig, Mike Oldfield, Mike Rutherford, Moebius, Moebius & Beerbohm, Moebius & Plank, Moebius & Renziehausen, Moebius, Plank, & Neumeier, Moebius, Plank, & Thompson, Mona Lisa, Mother Gong, Museo Rosenbach, Mythos, National Health, Nektar, Neu!, Nik Turner's Sphynx, Novalis, Nuova Era, Odissea, Organisation, Osanna, Panna Fredda, Patrick Moraz, Pekka Pohjola, Peter Baumann, PFM, Phil Collins, Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Popol Vuh (German band), Popol Vuh (Norwegian band), Psychedelic Warriors, Pulsar, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno, Renaissance, Richard Pinhas and Heldon, Robert Fripp, Robert Wyatt, Roedelius, Roxy Music, Sally Oldfield, Sandy Denny and the Strawbs, Schicke Fuhrs & Frohling, Semiramis, SFF, Sparks, Stackridge, Steeleye Span, Steve Hackett, Steve Hillage, Strawbs, Syd Barrett, Synergy, T2, Tangerine Dream, The Cosmic Jokers, The Long Hello, The Residents, Tim Blake, Tony Banks, UK, Univers Zero, Uriel, Vangelis, & Wigwam

√zet --

Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, and --

-- all "Artists" who talk through their *** about Politics.

...and Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train"

For the Last Freakin' Time --

I don't care WHO does not understand "Why" I don't like that song!! <whew>

BQ: Yes.

BQ2: Watching Environmental Zealots, being fed to overpopulet Polar Bears.

After that --

We sang Carols, for that dude that was nailed to the wood.

BQ3: Transatlantic (but I still have not heard them)

BQ4: -(e = lim (1+1/x)x , x→∞) ∑ (f (n)(x) = [f (n-1)(x)]')

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.