Does oral sex cause throat cancer ?

I heard this before many times. And I did some research. This is a factor in some cases of

throat cancer. So hmmmm. Oh dont we just love sex. But some of us are very unothrodoxed

people, arent we. We like it just the way we do. But man, oral sex can be great beyond

comprehension. I know, nevermind the details. =) But for the ladies. If you are out there

giving oral to your guy, then you might want to use some protection. Mouth condoms, dental

d's. Whatever floats your boat. Because you might regret it later. lol What do you think.......

Best Answer

I read an article in the newspaper recently about a study linking oral sex and throat cancer in both sexes, so men can get it from performing oral sex on women. However - the # of partners makes a difference - the less partners you have in a lifetime, the less likely to get cancer.

Probably not.... The recent reports about oral sex causing cancer are alarmist. Briefly, the reports suggest a correlation between HPV infection in the throat and throat cancer. We already know that some strains of HPV cause cervical cancer, and given that HPV is spread through sexual contact, some logical doctors decided to ask if HPV infection in the throat would be carcinogenic in the same way that HPV genital infection is. The doctors found a correlation - but it's only a correlation. It will be years before this issue is settled and even if doctors conclude that oral sex transmission of HPV can cause throat cancer, it still wouldn't come near to causing as many cases of throat cancer as smoking does. This is a good example of the media blowing something completely out of proportion because it makes for interesting news. I hope this helps.

No. Oral sex does not cause throat cancer.

However, if the person receiving oral sex has an STD (or STI, if you prefer), such as HPV, than the person preforming oral sex may contract it orally, and HPV has been linked to a number of cancers, including oral cancers, cervical cancer, and penile cancers.

Basically, if your partner has no STD's, then there is no risk of cancer because of oral sex, or any other kind of sex.

• Erin

So, it's not the act itself, but your partner's bodily fluids that contribute to the risk. If both are healthy, regularly screen for STIs and practice safer sex (including barriers) when not with a fluid-bonded partner, the risk is minimized.

It has struck me that this might be an inherent probability in most forms of sexual conduct.

• ?

Well thats certainly brought a lump to my throat

Yeah HPV

I don't know about that, but for me it causes that little string connecting my tongue and lower jaw to be sore.

You have got to be kidding? This is a joke, right?

Gotta die of something sometime. Rodney don't care.