Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Does English sound similar to German?

of course it doesn't to us, but to someone who speaks neither, do you think it would sound similar?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, if you actually listen, they do share many similarities. A lot of the vocabulary is the same, and many sentences sound similar to, for example

Is that you?

Ist das du?

Yeah

Ja

I must

Ich muss

• pippin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Dutch, German and English are certainly comparable due to the fact they're all Germanic languages, however due to the fact English has absorbed this kind of satisfactory quantity of French and Latin loanwords (making up approximately 60% of the English vocabulary) it is regularly tough to look the similarities. Since the audio system of Old English normally originated in southern aspect of Jutland this usual sort of English used to be some distance toward German and Dutch, however such a lot of all Frisian, which continues to be the language closest regarding English. The English language has been inspired through a few different languages through the years, adding Norman French (which used to be spoken in Normandy through Viking descendants who invaded England 1066) and Old Norse (spoken through Vikings who invaded England within the ninth century). No, English and Dutch don't seem to be derived from German, however all 3 have a traditional ancestor.

• so
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Since when is the grammar similar? German grammar and English grammar went separate ways over 1 000 years ago!

I have a German friend and she says when she hears English or French she has to concentrate first to distinguish the two. She speaks both languages well.

Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There are some words that are similar and the grammar definitely makes it closer to English than a lot of other languages, but it's still very easy to tell the difference between the two.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, not really. I find german and english languages very different.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it doesn't. My little brother doesn't speak either languages, but can tell them apart. He definitely hears the difference between them, for example in the song 'Anyplace, anywhere, anytime'.

Source(s): my little brother
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. English is softer, German has very hard constant sounds, its sounds alot harsher than english

• Kirby
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Gute Nacht, good night.

• 1 decade ago

i believe english itself originated from german that's why most of english words are close to german.

• 1 decade ago

Uhm.. No.. Not really..

( Öhm.. Nein.. Nicht wirklich.. )

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.