Adopting a dog, what age?

Hi everyone, we are going to adopt a dog after Christmas from a shelter. What I am unsure about is what age to get? Is it better to get a puppy and give it a chance at life or will all the puppies be adopted out and the older ones left. So in that case should I adopt one that is really old and then it can have a... show more Hi everyone,
we are going to adopt a dog after Christmas from a shelter. What I am unsure about is what age to get? Is it better to get a puppy and give it a chance at life or will all the puppies be adopted out and the older ones left. So in that case should I adopt one that is really old and then it can have a nice last few years. We have another dog that we want to be happy and our house is hardly a quiet one. What should I do?
Update: Oh there is no way we are going to send the dog back it will lead a life of luxury until the day it dies.