dog lover asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Does BPA cause cancer?

I just learned about BPA. One website says you have to even filter your shower water because BPA molecules are easily absorbed into the skin. This causes cancer. It's in everything- it's in metal cans like vegetable cans and soda cans, and it's in plastics especially hard plastics. It's even put in the lining of some bags like chips. Even in BPA free bottles, tests have found traces of BPA. Is BPA really as dangerous as the websites say? Is this causing cancer?

Favorite Answer

Hi,

Yes, BPA is very commonly found in our everyday lives. The thing is that we are usually exposed to it at very low concentrations; and there haven't been any clear scientific studies showing that continuous exposure to such small quantities of BPA causes clear side effects. Although there is genuine concern among scientist in the field about exposure to BPA, since it mimics the hormone estrogen.

More specifically, a governmental British study (which was adopted by the European Union in 2004) found that adults consumed an estimated 0.00037 mg of BPA per kilogram of body weight per day (mg/kg-bw/day). Assuming an average body weight of 80kg (176lbs) that would come out to 0.0026 mg per day of BPA.

Their report also pointed out that toxicity studies carried out on rats and mice found fertility reduction when the test animals were exposed to 500mg/kg-bw/day - more than a million times higher than the estimated daily consumption of adults. Although, another study (which other scientists have not been able to replicate) showed effects on the development of reproductive organs at doses as low as 0.002mg/kg-bw/day - only 5.4 times higher than the estimate daily consumption of adults.

So taking all this into account, and assuming you are not a pregnant woman and that all your reproductive organs have fully developed, I would say your exposure to BPA is limited and does not pose an acute health threat. It would still be advisable to reduce intake of BPA by not drinking or eating from HEATED containers that are susceptible to leaching of BPA when heated (these are plastic with recycling code numbers of 7 and 3).

For the report I mentioned follow the first link in my sources. If you want to find out more about BPA and how to test for it at home I suggest you follow the two other links I posted.

Keep healthy,

Ron Novik

(M.Sc. Chemistry)