25 weeks pregnant and trying to develop birth plan, Need some help!!! Lengthy?

Ok so there are alot of questions, and I know that birth plans are not guaranteed to be followed Im just a planner and I feel like if I can have a birth plan I am some way in control, even if D-Day is nothing like the birth plan.

- is it good to have your membranes artifically ruptured?

- should you have restrictions on food or fluids during labor?

- what is a heparin or saline lock?

- if medical induction is necessary which is best; stripping membranes, prostaglandin gels, or pitocin

- what is the difference; walking epidural, classic epidural, narcotics and which is best to have

- episitomy? Yes or No

- Should you risk tearing, have a episitomy or prefer a pressure episitomy what is the difference?

- why would you wait for umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped?

- eye drops, why are they given and when should they be given

- vitamin k, why is it given and when should it be given?

And I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord, he will be taking pictures throughout the labor but can I have one of the nurses plan to take a picture of him cutting the cord? And can I tell them that if a c-section is necessary to go ahead but talk to me first and tell me why it is necessary unless its an emergency. And can I tell them that I would like time restraints on labor, that id Im pushing too long to go ahead with a c-section??

This is my first baby (if you couldn't tell) and Im very nervous about childbirth, either way natural or c-section. I plan everything and I have to have some sort of idea what may go on. Please I know that they are not always followed Im just a nervous first timer. And I know all these answers are a matter of opinion, I would just like some advice Please!!!!

Thank you in advance

Favorite Answer

I hope I can help, I am currently going for my Doctrine in Midwifery.

-It is not good to have your membranes ruptured unless it is absolutely necessary in regards to the health of either you or your baby. Doing so will cause labor to go into full swing and your body may not be fully ready for that which a lot of times results in a c-section.

-Do not have restrictions on liquids...you need to be hydrated to the best of your ability. Food I would avoid...sometimes the pain and stress causes vomiting and it's easier to deal with when only liquid is coming out.

-It is pretty much the plug for your saline drip. That way if you need fluids or meds then they can be distributed faster and easier on short notice.

-If you must be induced then go with membrane stripping. It hurts less and your body will be able to handle the stress of that better than the others.

-If you must do meds then go with the walking epidural. It helps you stay mobile. The classic keeps you bed ridden, and the narcotics are bad for the baby.

-NOOOO. Let your body tear on it's own...do not let them cut down there. The healing process is faster if you tear and you have better results cosmetically than if they cut you.

-Just risk tearing...the other two will be pain that you don't need and recovery that you could do without.

-To make sure that you child gets all the good stuff out of it. The cord is packed with the most amazing things for that child, and you want to make sure they get every drop they can before you cut them free.

-They are given to prevent any infection. They are given almost immediately.

-Prevents blood clotting in the babies...they are at higher risk for bleeds and clots after birth due to the pressure change. They will give it to the baby shortly after birth.

They will only take the baby if necessary. Even if you have been pushing for 3 hours, if it is not medically necessary then they will not take the baby c-section. The nurses will take as many pictures as you want. They must consult you before a c-section.

I hope this helps, I am a mommy to a beautiful little girl and my birth and labor was a beautiful experience. Daddy was in Iraq so he missed it, but it was still amazing.

Good Luck!

• Alma

- should you have restrictions on food or fluids during labor? No

- what is the difference; walking epidural, classic epidural, narcotics and which is best to have. With narcotics you can still get up and move around but you can feel more. Its a personal choice but a regular epidural seems like the best idea because it gives you the most pain relief.

- Should you risk tearing, have a episitomy or prefer a pressure episitomy what is the difference? Tearing is better than episiotomy

- why would you wait for umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped? So all of the blood is in the baby not the placenta

-can I have one of the nurses plan to take a picture of him cutting the cord? YES a nurse can take the photo

Here are my answers (have two kids):

- With #2, I had my membranes stripped, seemed to help a little bit, did not hurt, just uncomfortable.

- I restricted foods and fluids because I wanted an epidural 100%.

- Don't know what a heparin or saline lock is.

- I was induced with pitocin and liked it.

- Had classic epidurals with both, glad to not feel the pain. I didn't need to be a hero.

- Had episiotomies with both and was glad to.

- I still tore really, really, really bad with #1 even though I had the episiotomy (was cut twice) but still glad I didn't have to have a c-section and I healed very well

- My doctor handled when to cut the cord, but it wasn't right away so I'm guessing it stopped pulsating

- Both kids had eye drops and it's to help them, I can't remember why, look it up or talk to your doctor

- I don't remember the Vitamin K thing but I okayed for everything to happen to me and my kids, I trust my doctor 100% and wanted the best for us

- Yes, a nurse will take a pic of your husband cutting the cord

Your doctor will communicate with you if you need a c-section and why, unless you have a horrible doctor. There's no need to have a time restraint on labor unless you and/or the baby is having difficulty and needs to come out. I was in labor for 12 hours with my first and pushed for 2 hours. At one point, the nurse said if I didn't push my baby out, I was going to have a c-section. I told her okay. She then said, no, we can do this, let's go, and my baby was out.

- It's important that you talk to your doctor about everything. And you're right, it is possible that nothing will happen the way you hope for but I love my doctor and she said that when it comes to the safety and health of me and my baby, that's her job and she'll make the necessary decisions to help us. My doctor always communicates with me first before doing something and I have two healthy babies (well, almost 5 and 20 months but they'll always be my babies). Congrats and good luck!

Okay i'll try to get them all

-I didn't have my water broken, it actually delivered whole my midwife said it was rare and after he was mostly out it popped. I would say either way is fine,it might speed things up to get it popped.

-Yes i would limit yourself to ice chips while your are in labor

-i dont know what heparin or saline lock is sorry

--stripping membrane all the way, i wouldn't even consider that medical induction, i had mine swept which caused me to go into labor on my own.

-I am not sure on epidurals because i went unmedicated (and i recomend it!)

-if you're going to tear yes i would get an episitomy i got one even though i wasn't about to tear because my son's heartrate dropped and they wanted to get him out fast

-i would just let the dr. decided what to do for the cord

-they help protect your babies eyes from infections so yes i would get them.

-yes to vitamin k it's just a safe precaution

-yes a nurse can take a picture just ask, and a dr will explain everything if you need a c-section

I know it is scary and stressful to think about, i had my son 10 weeks ago and i was so scared but it all turned out really well and you forget about the hard parts when your holding your cute little new one. Just keep in mind that you can't plan it out completely you don't know what will happen but it is good to be prepared for every outcome :)

Congrats and good luck :)

Hi sweetie,first off i wanted to say good luck and congratulations! To plan for a birth is always very smart, but you are right can not always be followed. You would be surprised the things that can come up. First your question on having your membranes ruptured is not always your choice, they may have to and they will explain to you on why but if it comes to that you have no choice. they may give you a choice on what to do for your medical induction, you can tell them what you prefer but they may just decide on there own what is best, epidural you dont decide on, they do and if you are by chance given a choice, they will just take your opinion into account. as for an episiotomy you dont have a choice on that if they need to stitch you up they will just do it depending on the size of your tear.the nurse for picturing taking they may, but not likely they are there for your and babies care, they dont care about pictures, if you get a nice one, she may, as for a c section you dont get to decide, there is no time limit on pushing, some woman push for hours, unless medically something is wrong with you are the baby you have no choice but to push. They will always explain to you why they are doing anything, but in the end the doctors decide what to do medically.

Source(s): I have birthed 4 children, and been to many births

WOAH im only 9 weeks.... I havent even heard of a lot of this. I'm in for an eye opener once I learn all of this myself

Most of your questions here should be directed at (very patient) medical staff, and not faceless internet users. The best advice I can give you is to relax. If the cave women could do it, so can you.