What's the difference between a Daguerreotype and "wet plate" photography?

I'm doing a research paper about Mathew Brady, the Civil War photographer, and I just read about the popularity of Daguerreotypes decreasing, which made room for the increasing popularity of "wet plate" photography. As a present-photographer, I know nothing about the various processes that were... show more I'm doing a research paper about Mathew Brady, the Civil War photographer, and I just read about the popularity of Daguerreotypes decreasing, which made room for the increasing popularity of "wet plate" photography.

As a present-photographer, I know nothing about the various processes that were used in the past, but I wanted to explain them in my paper. I'm having a hard time finding information online.

what's the difference? How are they similar? How is each process completed? Was "wet plate" photography more efficient?