Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Would you own a husky if you lived in Phoenix Arizona?

Its fairly hot here....wondering if it would be acceptable to acquire a Siberian Husky.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

No. Their coat is far too thick for that weather.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Contact EXPERTS- The reputable breeders who comprise of the Siberian Husky Club of Greater Phoenix if you have real concerns

http://www.akc.org/club_search/index_master.cfm?ac...

Obviously they do fine or else you would not find a breed club there, would you.

I live in Southern California, and although its not as consistently hot as Phoenix we have our share of temperatures over 100 degrees.

I have had SIX Siberian huskies in my lifetime over a 28 year period.

They would have a pool in the yard to cool off in, and of course when its really hot they were in the house with the Air Conditioning on.

My guess is that all responsible pet owners in Phoenix bring all their dogs in regardless of coat on those really hot days.

If you are going to have your dog indoors on those days, and provide him with a pool to cool off in when he does have to go outside I see no reason not to get one-as far as your weather is concerned.

• 1 decade ago

No - too hot. I live in SLC and my neighbors have a Husky / Malamute cross the dog has to be indoors and not moving around in summer and we're 20 degrees cooler than you are.

• Remdog
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't, they're arctic dogs. Huskys are beautiful dogs, but there are tons of awesome breeds out there who do better in the heat. How about a Basenji? I think they're originally Egyptian (someone correct me if I'm wrong there) but they do fine in the heat and don't really like water.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Absolutely not. You're talking about a nordic breed, bred to lounge about comfortably at 32 degrees. During cooler months your dog would likely be fine as they do okay in 60ish degree weather. During summer even going outside to pee would be like sticking your head in a 400 degree oven.

[Edit] You can't shave them, either, because then you expose their skin to sunburn, and dogs burn easily.

• 1 decade ago

dont listen to these people! i live in tucson az and know of manhy people that have huskies and they are just fine. happy n all!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.