apllying to US colleges

I'm in eleventh grade here in Taiwan

my parents are farmers

we don't make a lot of money

I'm in 彰化女中

I was one of the three Taiwanese representatives of the international student summit--- England

I was also one of the two Taiwanese representatives of the National Astronomy Observatory of Japan's 2009/7/22 Solar Eclipse Cruise

I'm student council president

I've met the president at the Harvard Taiwan Leadership Conference (40 reps)

I founded my own Leadership camp for junior high school students (free by the way)

and I went to university for English back in fifth grade (not a good one but it's still an university)

the problem is...

I'm in this really special Science class

the courses are rigorous

and the teachers start grading us from Bs not As (unlike the US)

we don't have "electives"

We have to take everything, whether you like it or not.

And my grades suck

I know I'm able to get As in a normal class

do colleges understand my situation?

cause I mean, seriously my grades are like B

but that's really good in special classes (sort of like a class for honor roll students right?)

can somebody tell me what to do with my grades?

or maybe somebody should tell me what to do right now cause my parents can't me, and my teachers at school haven't met a kid like me before (you'd be crazy to apply for a US college)

I don't have any work experience, and from what I've heard colleges like students who have worked before.

p.s I got a TOEFL114

PPs. I'm applying to Harvard, John Hopkins, UCLA, Yale, Columbia, and Stanford cause that's what my friend told me to do. She's a Taiwanese student and she got Princeton, stanford, yale, brown and columbia and she thinks I'm better than her. (I have to put an emphasis on here: SHE THINKS)

1 day ago

Seriously I don't know what to do. I don't even know if I'm considered as a honor roll student.

Can I submit my part of my common apps through the web while I submit my international student supplement by mail? (cause I can't find the online version of the supplement)

Rating
  • Alex
    Best Answer

Hey C. L.!

Of the things you've done, the following will help you a lot:

I'm student council president

because they are unique opportunities and they make you stand out. On the other hand, the following will not really help you that much:

because the first one is just another summer program, and the second one was way too long ago.

Like the previous two replies, colleges will view each high school differently,

and will view regular classes differently from honor classes, so don't worry too much if hardly anyone else gets A's. Plus, there are rumors that they will add an entire full grade for grades in taiwan, which means they will view a C as a B, and a B as an A. Being a valedictorian doesn't guarantee you admission to the top schools (I was 8th in my high school), but you should still try to maintain that grade.

Your TOEFL score is enough. One of my friends here at Harvard had a TOEFL score of 110 and an SAT score of around 2160. So this means that you have a chance.

You were taking classes at a university, and that was an opportunity thatyou found by yourself. That's unique, and that will help you greatly. Did you also do some lab work? See if you can come up with some kind of result -- that will help you too.

2009-12-18 14:16:43 補充:

Spend some time thinking about what you want to write in your college essay, and you can write outlines or drafts if you wish, but don't stress over it for now. This coming summer, in addition to preparing for SAT's, continue to do something "very impactful" like most of the things you listed.

2009-12-18 14:17:15 補充:

(cont.) You can do something new like go into a rural area and volunteer (extra credit if you can start some kind of volunteering student organization), continue with your research, or even make your Leadership conference bigger and even better.

2009-12-18 14:17:58 補充:

Remember, colleges like students who are different. Some people attend summer camps that accept 1000 students or volunteer at a hospital just like everyone else. They can't answer questions like "Why should we accept YOU and not another applicant?" or "what makes you unique?" but you can.

2009-12-18 14:18:46 補充:

(cont) Your achievements are ahead of many TAS and 新竹實中 students (so far Harvard has only been accepting students from these two schools at least over the past 5 years), but you have to keep it up and do it even better. Let me know on MSN if you need anything else!

2009-12-18 14:18:51 補充:

P.S. before you apply to colleges, you'll have to know how to spell "apply" (in the subject line) correctly! :P

Source(s): Alex =)

It will be tough. Good luck.

My advice is to branch out and apply more schools.

• Nini

那些高等學府不太可能收拿很多B的學生

那應該算是都是A的學生在競爭的地方

不過你仍然可以試著去申請

也許你就因此進去了說不定

雖然你說那是很特別的SCIENCE CLASS

可是美國人可能無法了解他是有多麼特別的

也沒時間去了解 畢竟申請人數眾多

除非你有辦法過的了第一關或之後的等等

第一關就是光看你的成績有沒有過他們的最低條件

也就是說不定你GPA 或是SAT沒達到他們的標準

可能就會被刷下來

建議你也要申請一些沒那麼高等的學府

以免你沒申請上也有學校讀

另外你有沒有考SAT呀

SAT很重要喔

還有你有沒有做VOLUNTEER WORK

那也是很重要的一件事情

你高中有得過很多獎的話

要寫在你的APPLICATION上喔

會有幫助的

• RenRen

I don't think you'll be able to join those schools, basically on your poor English community skill, although you're better than me. ccc...

and have you took SAT exam for applying school yet? SAT... SATII... I think you better begin to prepare those exams first.

2009-12-16 17:17:09 補充:

& I think you'll need find a native speaker to help on your essay writing at the same time. Maybe find a studyabroad agency to help for your applying will be better, because form your background info, I believe that you'll able to get some scholarship from school for sure.

2009-12-16 17:18:41 補充:

And what is your overall GPA? I don't think you need to gain any working experience to apply unversitym don't worry about it. Maybe you need to do is find a MAJOR study first. Therefore, you'll have something to focus on for your SOP..

成績,每個學校打分不同,標準自然也不同。大學不會笨到拿同一把尺量所有學生的成績。不單單是GPA,量化的SATs或是ACT也是一樣。你努力當一個top student就好,GPA是很好解釋的,再加上,以亞洲成績來說,80分以上都是A,這點多數大學都還是知道且有共識的。

不是別人怎麼樣,上了什麼學校,你就可以照本宣科。同理,也可以反過來說。你自己喜歡什麼學校才是最重要的。那些學校,課程怎麼樣,校風怎麼樣,這些都是需要考慮的。此外,每個人的背景不同,美國學校在衡量一個人的時候,說白了就是一種惟心主義,喜歡就喜歡,不喜歡你成績再好、錢太多都沒有太大的用處。簡單的來說,你到底現在有什麼?不是說你活動參加了多少,而是,作為一個人,你到底是什麼樣的?這些你參加的活動、你做過的事,你經歷過的種種,到底把你變成什麼樣的人?你對大學教育的看法是什麼?你為甚麼要接受這樣的教育?為甚麼是美國?又為甚麼是這個學校?你要用這個教育來做什麼?這些問題,我們不會一個個在essays中回答,卻是點滴都會融入你在essays中的每一句話語,這些才是大學真正在評斷要不要你這個人的關鍵。

你的SAT成績?先不說你選的那幾間學校的要求,不管你能考多少,學校要成績就是要成績(雖然也有很少數很少數的特例)。有些量化、自己能做好的事情還是得做好。TOEFL和SAT中間還是有不算小的gap,如果你已經考好了,那是最好,如果還沒有,在考慮學校之前,先從這個開始做吧~

CommonApp還不是你需要擔心的事情。現在在填寫的是給2010年入學的,也就是class 14的同學。如果你現在11年級,那就是class 15,要等到明年七月一號(通常...)才會開放。除非你是要做junior applicant,那我也得先知道你的SAT成績才好給建議。如果直接回答你的問題,可以,Common App可以做一部份,剩下的不管什麼,郵寄的可以,但是請先跟學校聯絡,double check地址,寄出後也要追蹤。

Let me know if I can be any help.

Source(s): 大一