Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Do you think you shouldn't say Merry Christmas to friends of other beliefs?

I travel a lot; have homes in other places, and know people in 1/3 of the countries of the world, at least.

I received this, from a Muslim friend today. Do you think perhaps PC is maybe a bit too controlling in the US?

"Dear All,

Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body.

It warmed your heart... filled it, too, with a melody that would last forever. A little smile, a word of cheer,

A bit of love from someone near, A little gift from one held dear, Best wishes for the coming year… These make a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

God Bless Us All...

MOHD xxxxx

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia"

So far this season I have received Muslim Christmas greetings from: Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Egypt and the UK. Buddhists have sent Christmas prayers and blessings from China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, Malaysia Indonesia, the USA and UK (and other places)

Non-religious people from sent Christmas greetings from at least 10 countries to me this year.

And PC doesn't want us to say Merry Christmas to our neighbor down the street.

Dan, The rest of the world IS different. These people appreciate getting Christmas wishes, and give Christmas wishes. It's in the US where we have problems. I'm so pleased with what I have received this year.

Oh Dan, My friend sent this as a mass mailing to his friends, there were about 50 or more names on the mailing list. His family is rich, and influencial in Malaysia; good Muslims, but aware of his friends.

Wyomugs, a very Merry Christmas to you also!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It is perfectly acceptable to wish another person a Merry Christmas if YOU are celebrating Christmas or if THEY are celebrating Christmas. If a Jewish friend wishes you a Merry Christmas, you can wish them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah, if you desire.

What's more important than the celebration is the wishes for a HAPPY celebration. We don't need to get hung up on who celebrates WHAT.

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Have a polite day.

I think you should take the time to find out what your friends' beliefs are before you just start saying "Merry Christmas". You can't just assume that people celebrate it. I have a co-worker who is a Jehovah's Witness, and every year, the manager wishes her a Merry Christmas, knowing that she does not celebrate it. It offends my co-worker very much that the manager can't bother to remember this. If my friends are Jewish, I wish them a Happy Hanukkah. If my friends celebrate the Solstice, I wish them a Happy Solstice. I don't celebrate Christmas and it bothers me when people say Merry Christmas to me, when I've told them a million times I don't celebrate it.

• Dan H

It sounds like your friend understands that you believe in Christ and that you celebrate Christmas. This is the true spirit of religion, knowing that others do not always hold your own beliefs and that is OK and it is OK for a Muslim to wish a Christian Merry Christmas.

If you have a Muslim, Islamic, Hindu, etc friend it would not be OK to wish them a Merry Christmas. It shows you aren't in tune with your friend and his/her beliefs.

I say "happy holidays" to everyone because I do not want to come off as someone who doesn't respect other's beliefs. Saying Merry Christmas assumes that they celebrate it, and perhaps they don't. I live in LA so my friend's beliefs are quite varied. Wishing them a nice holiday is a nice alternative and includes all belief systems!

• j00r

I just say "Merry Christmas." I'm Christian, but I wouldn't be offended in the least bit if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah.

• Miss 6

I think that you its nice to send someone who celebrates Christmas a Christmas card, someone who celebrates Hanukkah a Hanukkah card, etc..

Also Muslims recognize Jesus Christ and some share in greetings this time of the year with their Christian friends.

I think we're so afraid of being PC that it's ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays," but at my job we can't even say THAT because heaven help us if we are on the phone with a Jehovah's Witness. I think it's ridiculous. People understand if you have beliefs. Yes, we are too obsessed with being PC here in the US. And it's ridiculous.

• J

I don't see a problem with it as long as the particular friend and yourself know each other well enough to know it won't bother the two of you.

- I live in a down home kind of town in southwest Ohio.

Are you asking whether MOHD was just being politically correct?

Maybe. So what?

What is the problem?