A Dog's Life:) asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Alaskan Malamute v the Siberian Husky?

What are the five main differences between them, we have two Siberians and would love to own an Alaskan Malamute, anyone one the main differences?

Thanks

Ahh dont worry 'Animal Artwork & The Brat' we are a firm but fair home, they go to training weekly and they know they can only go so fay. They are 18 months now and their pushing their luck, our girl will skip some kibble meals in protest but we dont give in! And just today i told our male to sit and he circled and tried to leave the room ...tsk tsk lol I just said "OII" and he sat reluctantly .. naughty boy!!

'Lioness' Yes until a few months ago all they needed was "walkies", now they need a daily run. I go out with them attached to my bike and they either pull me along in the woods or they heel to my pace. They go to weekly agility and swimming as well, they need a heck of a lot to be happy, balanced dogs, keeps me fit anyway lol!

Favorite Answer

Alaskan Malamute is bigger, and has a much harder temperament. If you haven't established a very firm pack order with you at the top and you give a command and a Siberian Husky may blow you off and do what it wants to do - an Alaskan Malamute may decide you need to be reminded just who has the big teeth. I LIKE the breed - but I'm not someone that most dogs will attempt to challenge. More dog aggression with the Alaskan Malamutes as well.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder :) So can't really answer that because everyone has their own idea of what 'better' is. I have both though so I'll point out some of the differences. Physically, Mals are taller, bigger and heavier. Huskies usually are 40-60 lbs(females being smaller). Mals are usually 70+ lbs and some go way into triple digits. Malamutes don't have the blue eyes Sibes are famous for, though Sibes can have eyes of all colors. They both have that double coat that sheds and Malamutes were bred to pull heavier loads while Siberians were bred for faster smaller loads. Both were bred to be working dogs that don't have to be fed a whole lot and are athletes that require daily exercise to be happiest. Both are pack animals, though Malamutes tend to be more canine aggressive than Sibes especially with same gender. But a well socialized, well bred Malamute does just as well with other dogs most of the time. Alot of it depends on the dog's individual personalities. Both my husky and my Malamute are well socialized, but my husky is more independent and my Malamute is more people oriented and safe with children of all ages. My husky is more high strung and tempermental and requires more supervision. But those are just my two and personalities in dogs vary as much as it does in people. I hope this answer helps :P best of luck!

The Alaskan Malamute is a heavy boned, powerful dog. The males weigh between 85 and 100 lbs and the females between 75 and 90 lbs. The eyes of the Alaskan Malamute are always brown. Their head is broad with ears set wide apart. Their tail is similar to a plume carried up and over their back. The Alaskan Malamute is known for being gender aggressive toward dogs of the same sex. They can also be food aggressive. They are very loving and affectionate dogs and carry a laid back attitude. They make good companions but are not guard dogs even though their size can be intimidating. Everyone is a friend to a Malamute. Malamutes enjoy hiking, backpacking, swimming, jogging and cuddling up with their owners. Malamutes are very intelligent and can be very stubborn. Unlike the Siberian Husky, the Malamute is not prone to fence jumping. If they are bored, they can easily dig themselves out of kennels or under fences. Lifespan 10-12 years.

The Siberian Husky is a medium sized, smaller boned dog. The males weigh between 50-70 lbs. And the females between 35-50 lbs. The Siberian Husky can have brown eyes, blue eyes, one of each or a split eye (one eye with two colors).

Their head is smaller and not as broad as the malamute with ears set high on their head and close together. Their tails are considered a fox brush shape and are carried in a sickle shape when alert and trailing when the dog is relaxed. The Siberian Husky does well in a pack situation. They do not have the gender aggression that is a characteristic of the malamute. They are, however, very high energy dogs that are very vocal. They are an intelligent breed with a stubborn streak. They are not a guard dog and not a "one-man" dog. Siberians require a lot of exercise and enjoy swimming, jogging hiking, and agility amongst other activities. The Siberian Husky can be an escape artist and is prone to fence jumping when left unattended for long periods of time. They have also been known to climb a chain line fence to escape. They do best is a 5' or 6' fenced yard. Life span 12-15 years.

These dogs can make wonderful pets and companions, but it takes a serious, long-term commitment to live with them. As with any dog breed, they are not for everyone.

The Alaskan Malamute and the Siberian Husky have a lot in common, but they also have a lot of differences.

- Malamutes are usually 75-100lbs. Siberians around 50lbs. Mal's are the heavy weights. Sibes the light weights. For a Malamute, picture a Siberian on steroids -- bigger, stockier, more muscular, usually shorter tempered. Their muzzles are heavier, their ears set further down the head, and their bones larger. All of these things are relative depending if you are looking at a small Malamute or a large Siberian.

- Malamute eyes are brown -- this is important because pet stores mix up AKC papers and people who fake the papers won't back off their claims of blue-eyed Malamutes -- but they are not purebred Malamutes. Siberian eyes can be brown, or blue, or one of each color, or both colors in the same eye.

Hope this Helps!!! (There is really no difference though...)

I think the main difference is size and perhaps the malamute is a bit more stubborn than the husky. I dont know through experience though, I looked into both breeds as we wanted to get one or the other but decided against it.

One big difference...some Mals (not all) do not play well with others. It tends to be the females more so than males.

They tend to "pack" more with people than each other unless they are on a team.

Having Sibs, you know how they like to escape. Mals are much the same but tend to be more stubborn about it. Think instead of jumping over the fence, they have the strength to move the fence. (LOL - I've had it done!).

Size is one difference. Mals are designed for running heavier loads at a slower pace than Sibes. (they might not be great for a sprint team) Animal Artwork did a great job of explaining their temperaments.

I personally don't know how in the world I would give them the exercise they needed unless I was running them on a team. But, considering you have Sibes, I would imagine you have this worked out.

Alaskan Malamutes will win you over with their playful, outgoing dispositions. They greet everyone as a friend--even strangers and first-time houseguests--so they don't make good watchdogs, but they are extremely loyal to their family and friends.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/alaskan-malamute/per...

Siberian Huskies are pack dogs, and they need an owner who is the clear leader of the pack. This makes training easier because you will find that your dog respects you, but don't be surprised if he tests the limits of your position in the pack and tries to take control from time to time.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/siberian-husky/perso...

husky's are smaller and have more energy they can also change their metabolism witch is really cool malamute's are big and balky and slower they still have energy but they are more mellow if you have husky's go for a malamute