Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Vegetarians do you think it's wrong to kill cattle?

Just wondering if some of you guys think that it is wrong to kill cattle and other animals and that is why you are vegetarians.

• Matt
    Best Answer

Vegetarian and vegan lifestyles are chosen for a variety of reasons -- often, a combination of multiple reasons.

Ethical vegetarianism, as you describe, is based on a respect for animal welfare, including the breeding, confinement, treatment, and slaughter of food animals.

Health vegetarianism is the reduction or elimination of animal products from the diet to reverse, or to reduce the risk of certain chronic illnesses, such as high blood pressure. It might also be part of a lifelong weight management plan. The DASH diet, for example, recommends at least two meatless meals per week.

Environmental vegetarianism is concerned with the environmental impacts of food animal production, and the production of feed for those animals. Specifically, global climate change, land use (deforestation), local air pollution, water eutrophication, occupational hazards to food production workers, and emerging microbial hazards such as antibiotic resistance and viral recombination.

Economic vegetarianism is the simplest to understand: many people in the world opt for veggies instead of meat because it's significantly cheaper, calorie for calorie, to reduce or eliminate animal products from the diet.

Religious vegetarianism is required or encouraged by various religions and religious sects. Even the major religions put limitations on meat consumption, either certain types of meat, or eating meat on certain days.

And, of course, there are people who just don't like the taste of meat. I had an ex-roommate like that. He thought ground beef was a terrible way to ruin a perfectly good taco.

Source(s): I'm studying for the California REHS exam. As an environmental scientist, I'm most acquainted with environmental vegetarianism, but I also believe in nonviolence against humans and against animals, and I do enjoy still fitting in my high school jeans at age 31. Wikipedia gives broad and detailed coverage to all the aspects of vegetarianism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

This is not why I'm a vegetarian but being one does give me a high level of respect and value of life for animals... while I think the killing of animals is a means for survival that has dated to the start of humans, vegetarians are people who can evolve beyond this basic means of survival. Most people don't eat meat to survive they eat it because they like the taste ~ but these days many soy products mimic the taste of meat almost exactly! Same with fake leather products that are getting better and better in quality and harder to tell apart from real leather!

I do not have anything against people who eat what they fish or hunt (with exceptions), or buy from free-range farms where animals are treated as pets... but most animals that end up as food in America do not have even decent living situations like free-range. I think the sick and cruel way animals are forced to live before they are killed to be turned into people's dinner is wrong! I would not eat a rotten vegetable...

• Moxie

Ethical vegetarians often do believe this. I personally don't believe that a cow's entire life is worth less than a 20 minute dinner. Especially when I thrive not having to kill for my dinner.

Others hate the impact that it has on the environment. Meat is one of the greatest contributors to greenhouse gasses and worldwide starvation. It takes something like 8 pounds of grain to produce one pound of dead cow. Not a logical tradeoff, right?

And there are still others who are religious vegetarians. Seventh Day Adventists don't wish to polute the body that God gave them.

Other 'health' vegetarians also follow this, but with health instead of religion in mind.

There are thousands of questions on here that ask "Why are you a vegetarian". Perhaps the search box can help you find more answers.

Yes, I think it is morally wrong, it is one of many reasons why I am a vegetarian. I don't see how you can justify slaughtering sentient beings when it is not even necessary for our nutrition. Let alone the damage animal farming is doing to the environment.

I'm a vegetarian and I believe it is cruel and wrong to kill animals.

YES . ITS WRONG.

Vegetarianism is the practice of following a diet based on plant-based foods including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, with or without dairy products and eggs.[1] A vegetarian does not eat meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, shellfish, or products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived gelatin and rennet.[1][2][3] There are a number of vegetarian diets. A lacto-vegetarian diet includes dairy products but excludes eggs, an ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs but not dairy products, and a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet includes both eggs and dairy products. A vegan diet excludes all animal products, including dairy products, eggs, and honey. Vegetarianism may be adopted for ethical, health, environmental, religious, political, cultural, aesthetic, economic, or other reasons.

A semi-vegetarian diet consists largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish and sometimes poultry, as well as dairy products and eggs. A pescetarian diet, for example, includes fish but no other meats.[4] The common use confusion between such diets and vegetarianism[5] has led vegetarian groups, such as the Vegetarian Society, to note that such fish or poultry-based diets are not vegetarian.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

http://www.foodrecap.com/2009/12/vegan-diet-secret...

The reason I'm a vegan is really I don't like how animals that are used for food are mistreated and suffer their entire life.. not just being killed.

Yes, I think it is very wrong because they suffer in factories. Animals feel pain and fear and why should something have to do for me to have a snack?

EAT Meat

who cares, the same Global warming vegans contribute to emissions by clearing land for their protests and electrical emissions from the large Micro phones

Of course. Are you suffering from a lobotomy?