Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists, why don't you complain about the giant menorah in front of the White House?

Favorite Answer

There are better things to complain about, like , poverty, hunger, equal rights, a corrupt judicial system, a worldwide economic downturn and war. Once all that is fixed, I will write a letter to the white house.

• spry

definitely, the White domicile each and consistent with annum places up a enormous yule tree. because of fact the White house is the president's place of abode, one won't be able to say it extremely is only a "government construction". The president (or previous presidents) has additionally participated in many different faith's holidays, which incorporate an end-of-Ramadan banquet (and Muslims make up a outstanding much less proportion of the yank inhabitants than Jews). and because while has the anti defamation league protested against nativity scenes?

Generalizations are awesome! Let me do one:

Christians, why do you complain about billboards that question the existence of your god?

.

I don't complain about the giant menorah in front of the White House.

I am not an atheist. I just wonder where all the free thinking tolerance is when you have to strip away a menorah. You can't say the Jews are shoving their religion down your throat!

A giant Menorah in front of the White House. How nice! Happy Chanukah. I love seeing our Jewish traditions being shared by the President.

• Jess H

This is a pretty ironic question considering I have seen nothing but bitching about the menorah at the White House from *Christians* all over the place. They can't shut up about it. Look on here, every question we see complaining about the menorah is from a Christian / right-wing radical trying to use it to criticize Obama.

• Alexis

Alright, fine. I'm complaining.

Geezah - "Show me a group of lobbying Jews who want to teach the Torah in science class, enforce kosher laws on everybody, and tell me that I have to accept the covenant or be sent to Sheole....and then we'll talk."

That's the practical reason people don't complain. And, from a practical standpoint, it's a good one.

But still, based purely on *principle*, I can't find it acceptable, even if we all agree that it's pretty much the last thing in the world worth wasting time complaining about.

The White House is the People's House, so I have no problem with this display (or any other religious display). As long as the country is not governed from a religious point of view, I don't really care.

Source(s): Agnostic atheist

As long as:

-- no tax money is spent on it (and it's not, it's being paid for by private donations)

-- every religious group or non-religious group, including atheists, has the opportunity to put a display there

-- no statements from government officials endorsing or promoting the religion attached to the display are made

Then it's just fine.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be there.

Peace.

Yes