Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists, why don't you complain about the giant menorah in front of the White House?

36 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are better things to complain about, like , poverty, hunger, equal rights, a corrupt judicial system, a worldwide economic downturn and war. Once all that is fixed, I will write a letter to the white house.

• Login to reply the answers
  • spry
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

definitely, the White domicile each and consistent with annum places up a enormous yule tree. because of fact the White house is the president's place of abode, one won't be able to say it extremely is only a "government construction". The president (or previous presidents) has additionally participated in many different faith's holidays, which incorporate an end-of-Ramadan banquet (and Muslims make up a outstanding much less proportion of the yank inhabitants than Jews). and because while has the anti defamation league protested against nativity scenes?

• 1 decade ago

Generalizations are awesome! Let me do one:

Christians, why do you complain about billboards that question the existence of your god?

I don't complain about the giant menorah in front of the White House.

• 1 decade ago

I am not an atheist. I just wonder where all the free thinking tolerance is when you have to strip away a menorah. You can't say the Jews are shoving their religion down your throat!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A giant Menorah in front of the White House. How nice! Happy Chanukah. I love seeing our Jewish traditions being shared by the President.

• Jess H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is a pretty ironic question considering I have seen nothing but bitching about the menorah at the White House from *Christians* all over the place. They can't shut up about it. Look on here, every question we see complaining about the menorah is from a Christian / right-wing radical trying to use it to criticize Obama.

• Alexis
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Alright, fine. I'm complaining.

Geezah - "Show me a group of lobbying Jews who want to teach the Torah in science class, enforce kosher laws on everybody, and tell me that I have to accept the covenant or be sent to Sheole....and then we'll talk."

That's the practical reason people don't complain. And, from a practical standpoint, it's a good one.

But still, based purely on *principle*, I can't find it acceptable, even if we all agree that it's pretty much the last thing in the world worth wasting time complaining about.

• 1 decade ago

The White House is the People's House, so I have no problem with this display (or any other religious display). As long as the country is not governed from a religious point of view, I don't really care.

Source(s): Agnostic atheist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As long as:

-- no tax money is spent on it (and it's not, it's being paid for by private donations)

-- every religious group or non-religious group, including atheists, has the opportunity to put a display there

-- no statements from government officials endorsing or promoting the religion attached to the display are made

Then it's just fine.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be there.

Peace.

• 1 decade ago

Yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.