Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do humans have different languages because of the tower of babel?

men were building a tower and it was getting so high.. it almost reached heaven.. so he confused their speech and they couldnt finish building the tower. is this how humans get different languages? according to the bible it is. what do you think? also, what about all the sky scrapers and going to the moon? does this make god angry?

Favorite Answer

There are no such sky scrapers going to the moon and if there were, God would not be angry about it.

We have had astronauts flying to the moon, which does not anger God.

So where did you get that the Lord was angry, because I do not see it?

My analogy of Genesis 11; God wanted to scatter people throughout the earth and not be of just one language, nor be in one area, so thus...the diversity of people and languages, all sent out to different areas of the world.

Genesis 11

4They said, "Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."

5The LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.

6The LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.

7"Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

8So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.

9Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of the whole earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of the whole earth.

Supposedly the story of the Tower of Babel is the explanation for why people speak different languages. I don't know where it started, but its pretty much cultural and has to do with the fact that the earth is not flat and people have lived in different geographic and ecological environments for quite some time, so have had to come up with words or sounds (if you prefer) to express their relationship to each other within that particular environment. We now share a lot of root words which have been adapted among many different languages.

Did you know technically babies speak their own language? I beleive that is the only TRUE language. I'll explain... You can take 4 babies.. all from different races and backgrounds.. Not only will they probably get along.. they will also understand what each other are saying. if one baby cries.. they will all cry..if on baby laughs , they will all laugh...if one baby starts babbling...you will have a baby babble fest on your hands. Do we understand it? for the most part no we dont. we have to take the time out to understand those babbles and gurgles and cries...Only as we get older do we start speaking the language of those around us. the reason we do not keep talking in babbles is because we need to learn to speak to deal with everyday life... More than likely in the past as time went on and people moved to different areas of the world they too started developing their own languages and also to protect themselves from enemies ( or to make fun of people without them knowing) people started speaking differently Frankly I could make up a random language right now that you would not understand.. I would be the only one that understood it...ONLY if i taught you the language would you know what I was saying..if I were to make up a random language it would be because I didnt want anyone else to know what I was saying.

Babel’s God-defying program centered around construction of a religious tower “with its top in the heavens.” It was not built for the worship and praise of Jehovah, but was dedicated to false man-made religion, with a motive of making a “celebrated name” for the builders.—Ge 11:4.

Nimrod was the first after the flood to found a kingdom, to unite the fragments of scattered patriarchal rule, and consolidate them under himself as sole head and master; and all this in defiance of Jehovah, for it was the violent intrusion of Hamitic power into a Shemitic territory.”—1894, Vol. VII, p. 109.

So Jehovah in his ultimate wisdom just confused the languages and Nimrod's kingdom dispersed.

deb

Yes - people have different languages because of the tower of babel

Keep in mind this was written back in the days when people still thought the earth was flat. I can forgive the Hebrews for not knowing much about sociology and science in those days. What I can't forgive are full-grown adults who insist that this story is still the best explanation for the existence of different languages in the world. Most Jews and Christians I know simply take the story as a message of trying to rival God.

That's what the Bible tells you. If some one believes that they need to go read a book about languages and there origin.

Also you can communicate with people even if you speak different languages.

The Tower of Babel is a folk tale, a myth. A traditional cultural story told around campfires, meant to explain things that less sophisticated people had fewer answers for. It's not a historical account. Neither is Jonah and the Whale, Noah's Ark, The Parting of the Red Sea, the Resurrection of Jesus, etc. They are fables. You may be able to gain personal truth or wisdom from them, but don't confuse them with narratives of actual historical events.

• Alexis

No, humans have different languages because, like life, language evolves over time, and the languages of isolated groups of people will change until one or both are distinct from their common ancestor language.

It's linguistic speciation.

Zero - "The Tower of Babel was more than likely being made out of mud bricks...that stuff can't get all that high."

I dunno, I got pretty high off a half a brick once...

It wasn't a *mud* brick, though... I think maybe that's what the Babylonians were doing wrong.

According to the Old Testament, God punished them by making them speak different languages and sending them on separate ways.