I heard it is better to avoid eating chocolate during breastfeeding coz it contains caffeine. Is this right?

I am a chocolate lover : ((((((((((

Favorite Answer

Cacao beans, from which chocolate is made, do contain caffeine. Just like coffee beans. I think they're like, cousins, or something. LOL.

However, if you're eating Hershey bars, the cacao content is so diluted by sugar, milk, cream, etc., that you're getting only a tiny amount of caffeine. Even darker chocolates, eaten in moderation, will give you only a really small dose of caffeine. So relax. Unless you're eating pounds a day, you and your baby will be fine.

Coffee is fine in moderation too. I've joked that I have to keep drinking coffee because if I don't, my nurslings will get withdrawal headaches! I've drunk coffee during all my pregnancies and through over 10 combined years of breastfeeding. (I am an extended nurser. My babies nurse til they turn three.) And all my kids are smart and show no ill effects.

People make nursing way more complicated than it needs to be. For the record, unless it bothers your baby, you can eat all the garlic you want, spicy food, ethnic food, milk, nuts, etc. It does change the taste of the breastmilk, but this is nature's way of educating the baby's palate to his cultural diet. So that's a good thing!

*rolling eyes* Hotlama below just proved my point. Of course no one should smoke or use drugs. But one drink once in a while will not harm baby.

• Nancy

Like others have mentioned, chocolate does have caffeine, however it is not much. I guess if you eat massive amounts of chocolate (mean like, ridiculous amounts!) it could be bad. However I have never heard anyone say to avoid it while breastfeeding or while pregnant. They say you can even drink a cup or two of coffee which has a much higher caffeine content! I wouldn't worry about it if I were unless of course your baby shows any problems, but that would most likely be a rare situation! Good luck!

Not really....

You can eat/drink most anything you want while breastfeeding. I am currently breastfeeding and eat just as much chocolate as I ever did. The only things I really avoid are alcohol and caffeine, but I know breastfeeding mothers who drink both, though not in excess and it's fine.

There are NO foods that a mother should avoid simply because she is breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that you eat whatever you like, whenever you like, in the amounts that you like and continue to do this unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby to a particular food. There is no such thing as a "LIST OF FOODS THAT BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS SHOULD NOT EAT" because most nursing moms can eat anything they want, and because the babies who are sensitive to certain foods are each unique - what bothers one may not bother another. If you have a family history of allergies, you might want to avoid certain foods (for example, peanuts or dairy), but again, this would be different for every child.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.ht...

It does contain it but no you do not need to avoid it unless you have already consumed too much caffeine. You can safely drink a few cups of coffee a day, unless baby shows signs of irritation from it.

No. You can eat and drink whatever you want as long as it's not drugs, alcohol, tobacco ect. It really depends on each individual baby. I could eat whatever I wanted including chocolate but if I drank soda, my baby would spit up. If he/she tolerates the chocolate go ahead and eat it.

You can have caffeine but only moderately. If you drink coffee, you would want to limit it down to two cups a day rather than five.

Yes it's true that chocolate contains caffiene... but I'm sure a little bit wouldn't do any harm to either of you.

chocolate contains caffeine. my baby can't handle me having any caffeine so i try to watch. you can have a couple cookies but i wouldn't go binge on hershey bars

It does contain caffeine, but not much. I don't really think it will matter as long as you don't eat it in excess. You should stay away from coffee though.

• hg3300

i didn't know that chocolate contained caffeine!! lol does it really?