what will happen to the american hikers who were caught in Iran?

what punishments will be given to them if they are found guilty? .... are they gonna be whipped?....

Tehran, Iran (CNN) -- Three American hikers held in Iran will be put on trial, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told the country's semi-official Fars News Agency on Monday.

The Americans were detained July 31, when, according to their families, they accidentally strayed across an unmarked border into Iran while on a hiking trip in Kurdistan. They are being held on espionage charges.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They will be tried & convicted.

Then they will be used as political tools to get back at the US and eventually released as we kiss the foot of the president of Iran and thank him for being so kind as to pardon the men and let them come back to their families.

It is all a big game to them and whatever political advantage that they can get the will get..

There is no way they will be tried and found innocent, that just won't happen..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why would anyone want to go for a hiking trip in Kurdistan? I can think of hundreds of better places to go.These hikers are either idiots or doing as Iran suspects ie spying. Whatever they will be found guilty and held as a bargaining power for a future event. I wonder if they had even a simple GPS system with them which would clearly show that they has strayed over a boundary.

• 1 decade ago

Iran wants to use them as a political leverage to get the US to release some of the black market people we have captured or to get the release of one or more spies we have in custody that were helping Iran. I hate it for the 3 hikers but those idiots were that close to Iran knowing the US and Iran are not the best of friends. I would not trade one cookie for the 3 hikers. There is no cure for stupid.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

punishments? death, no question, they're spies by their definition.

will it happen? likely not, they would never go that far to piss the US off.

they're likely going to be used as pawns in this nuclear debate between the UN and Iran, pretty much a "I trade you people for you to piss off and leave us alone" kind of thing.

they're political prisoners, likely not gonna be let out any time soon by the looks of the nuclear talks.

personally, I'd leave them there, too bad for you buddy, you went and f*cked up big time, now you get yourself out of it.

they had no reason to be that close to Iran or to be in Iraq for that instance, they could have gone in their back yards instead of Iran's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They will be held for some time, treated badly but not seriously injured, and used as propaganda tools. They may be forced to confess on TV. Eventually they will be released and sent home.

• 1 decade ago

Iranian Gov will trial for them on hard basis, and if they found guilty free then Iranian Gov will set them free.

• Kurt
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Maybe the hikers will realise that the whole world doesnt work as your own back garden

• truth
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I don't think they will be treated poorly,just detained. Iran probably just wants to use them as bargaining chips.

• jayo
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

of course Aljazeera will accuse anybody straying into their territories of being a Jew and a undercover agent it extremely is what they do. the two I agree w/you what idiots could positioned themselves in harms way without having an ulterior reasons...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

presumably if it had been the other way round though and Iranians had crossed into the US, they would have been held without trial, tortured and not sent home.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.