Who are some lesser-known cool women in history?

I want to get my friends historical biographies for Christmas and I want to get each one a book about a woman who reminds me of them, but all the ones I can think of are a bit obvious.

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting female historical figures who aren't so widely known?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

(UN) Fortunately you have lots and lots of options! It is rather amazing how many 'cool' women get ignored by history & popular interest.

http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/biographies/walk...

"""Maggie Lena Walker, the first woman in the United States to become a president of a local bank, was born July 15, 1867 in Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A. She was a daughter of former slaves, Elizabeth Draper Mitchell and William Mitchell, who worked in the mansion of the abolitionist Elizabeth Van Lew. After a few years of living at the mansion, her father got a job as the head waiter at the Saint Charles Hotel and the family moved to a small house in town. Her father was murdered, presumably a victim of robbery and her mother supported herself and her two children with her laundry business while Maggie helped with the chores. In addition, Maggie attended the Lancaster School and then the Armstrong Normal School. After graduation in 1883, she taught at the Lancaster School until her marriage to Armstead Walker, Jr., a building contractor, in September 1886. They subsequently had three sons, though one died in infancy. She also became an agent for an insurance company, the Woman's Union. ""

http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/index.html

This woman's life story is proof positive that most all of Hollywood is BRAIN DEAD: she should be the subject of a dozen movies!

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-survi...

""Dorothy Gibson, 22, of New York, New York, was born Dorothy Winifred Brown in Hoboken, New Jersey, the daughter of John A. and Pauline Boesen Brown. John Brown died when Dorothy was a child and her mother married John Leonard Gibson. Dorothy married George Battier, Jr. in 1910 but separated from him shortly thereafter. They were eventually divorced.

Between 1907 and 1911 Gibson was a singer and dancer in a number of musicals on Broadway, including shows produced by Charles Frohman and the Shubert Brothers. In 1909 she became one of the favorite models for illustrator Harrison Fisher, her image appearing on magazine covers, postcards and various merchandise over a period of years.

In July 1911, after bit parts in motion pictures she was hired as leading lady for the American branch of the French company Éclair, becoming a popular star in a succession of hit comedies and dramas. Among her best-known roles was that of Revolutionary War heroine Molly Pitcher in the historical pageant, "Hands Across the Sea" (1911).

On 17 March 1912, having completed a series of films, including "The Easter Bonnet," a romantic comedy, and an episode of a gangster serial called "The Revenge of the Silk Masks," Dorothy and her mother sailed for Europe for a vacation. After a few weeks, Eclair advisor and producer Jules Brulatour, who also headed the leading film distribution company in America, wired her in Italy to return to complete a new roster of films to be directed by Etienne Arnaud and Maurice Tourneur. Dorothy was having an affair with Brulatour, who later divorced his wife to marry her.1].

Dorothy and her mother were in Paris when they booked their return passage on the Titanic, which they boarded when the ship stopped at Cherbourg on the evening of 10 April.

Dorothy told the New York Dramatic Mirror that she "spent a pleasant Sunday evening playing bridge with a couple of friendly New York bankers" These were William T. Sloper and Frederick K. Seward (the latter she knew from her church).

Despite the requests of a steward to finish, the trio carried on with their game. It was not until about 11.40 p.m. that Dorothy made her way to join Mrs. Gibson in their stateroom. She then noticed a "a long drawn, sickening crunch." She wasn't exactly alarmed, she stated to the Mirror, but decided nevertheless to investigate.

"As I started to walk across the boat I noticed how lopsided the deck was." She hurried to fetch her mother.

According to Dorothy, lifeboat 7 was virtually empty when she and her mother arrived on the boat deck. She asked Sloper and Seward to join them.

For a moment, it looked as if one of the lifeboats would follow Titanic to the bottom. Water gushed through a hole in the bottom until, in the words of Dorothy "this was remedied by volunteer contributions from the lingerie of the women and the garments of men."'

"I will never forget the terrible cry that rang out from people who were thrown into the sea and others who were afraid for their loved ones," she told the Moving Picture World.

Soon after the disaster Dorothy acted in the first film ever produced about it, called "Saved From the Titanic" (in which she basically played herself.) The movie was released barely a month after the sinking. (and she helped to produce the film)""

http://www.wai.org/resources/history.cfm

Peace/////\\\\\\\\\\

PS Othrs I am too lazy to dig up: Anne Boylen, Anne Hutchinsonhttp://www.annehutchinson.com/anne_hutchinson_biog...

Source(s): http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/biographies/pinc... ""Eliza Lucas Pinckney, probably the first important agriculturalist of the United States, was born in Antigua in the West Indies in 1722. She attended a finishing school in England where French, music and other traditionally feminine subjects were stressed, but Eliza's favorite subject was botany. When she was still quite young, her family moved to a farming area near Charleston, South Carolina, where her mother died soon after. By age sixteen, Eliza was left to take care of her siblings and run three plantations when her father, a British military officer, had to return to the Caribbean. ""
  • 1 decade ago

Zenobia Queen of Palmyra

Aphra Behn, Restoration novelist and spy

Violette Szabo, SOE operative in WW2

The Empress Matilda, mother of Henry II of England

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Princess Kartini of Malaysia, she was a freedom fighter.

Grandma Moses and her beautiful greeting cards.

Mata Hari was a German spy and a beautiful dancer during the I WW.

Margret Sanger and her fight for the right for contraception.

Elisabeth Fry and her work to improve prison conditions in England and also the suffragette movement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

IMany of the lesser general exciting historic figures have not got man or woman biographies written approximately them. i might recommend an relaxing sequence of books referred to as Uppity women human beings via Vicki Leon. there is Uppity women human beings of the classic cases, of Medieval cases, the Renaissance, and the hot international. those books incorporate many exciting women people who're many times not pronounced in common background books, and who do not inevitably have man or woman biographies written approximately them. they're exciting and somewhat straightforward to study, short man or woman entries on distinctive women human beings recommend they are in a position to be study in small doses. 2 comparable books are 'Wild women human beings' and 'Wild women human beings contained in the White homestead' via Autumn Stephens. Hell's Belles, via Seale Ballinger is yet another e book in an identical format, which bargains solely with southern women human beings.

• 1 decade ago

Marie Curie- French scientist and discoverer of the element, Radium. Died from subsequent radiation poisoning.

Source(s): It would be easier if I knew what you already had.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

dolly madison

harriet tubman

rosa parks

joan of arc

florence nightingale

susan b anthony

clara bow

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.