Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 decade ago

Question on Canadian citizenship?

I have a friend, he was born in the United States and moved to Canada with his parents when he was 7. His parents are also American. He is now 19 years old, still resides in Canada, but doesn't have a Canadian citizenship, because his parents never bothered applying for one.

What would he have to do to acquire Canadian citizenship?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    under NAFTA US citizens can travel live and work in canada freely they get permit on arival ..but to get citizenship

    1. you need to become permenent resident by applying for one ( it shows that you intend to live in canada not in usa)

    2. then wait for 3 yrs ad complete the number of days residing in canada

    3. apply for citizenship

    there are many canadians in US uder TN visa working ad living same us citizens livig in canada under similar provision .

    any country you first need to obtain premenent resident permit first before you apply for citizeship..just living there wont do much

    in this case he can save one yr as canadian rules do count days stayed as non permenent resident aswel only for 1 yr .so he can get PR ad then wait 2 yrs ad get citizenship

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, one must:

    * be at least 18 years old,

    * have permanent resident status in Canada,

    * Have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying,

    * be able to speak one of Canada’s official languages well enough to communicate with people

    * and must have a good knowledge of Canada.

    If your friend meets the above requirement, he can submit an application for citizenship.

    Please note that having a criminal history may prevent one from becoming a Canadian Citizen.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    First he apply for PR card and when get PR then wait for 3 years and then apply for citizenship.

    Canadian Immigration / Citizenship Information

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.