Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

Can your name legally be "John Tom Smith III" if John Tom Smith II was on the MOTHER'S side of the family?

John Tom Smith II gave birth to a girl, so she couldn't have had the namee. So her name becomes "Sarah Kara Smith"

So this "Sarah Kara Smith" lady then has a son with some guy named "Bob George Rabbit".

Can Sarah and Bob legally have a son called "John Tom Smith III" (The THIRD) ???

(all names have been changed)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes its a family name. And seeing as John would be the third person in his family to have that name. It makes complete sence that he can have the third on the end of his name.

Btw...

I would love it if i ever met a guy names bob george rabbit...haha

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Numerals aren't part of a person's name, legally or in any other sense; they are simply a way of telling apart two or more people with identical names. So it's purely a family matter how Sarah and Bob choose to identify their son. If there's a danger people will confuse him with his grandfather and great-grandfather, (whose proper descriptors, by the way, are not "I" and "II" but "John Tom Smith" and "John Tom Smith Junior") and his grandfather and great-grandfather agree, they may perfectly properly so describe him.

Note that it's only proper for him to be called "John Tom Smith III" so long as his grandfather and great-grandfather are still alive. When the great-grandfather dies, his grandfather becomes plain "John Tom Smith" and he becomes "Junior".

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

In this day and age, and as long as you are not attempting to commit a fraud, you can name your child whatever you want, and that includes giving him a name from the mother's side of the family -- including her surname rather than the father's. All you need do is record the name on the birth certificate. If any questions remain, see a lawyer. If the child is given the mother's surname, no one is going to care if he's also called "III". It can certainly be done.

Personally, I've always felt that it's a bad idea to give children "Jr." II, and III names (and I come from a family in which it's been done), because I think they are pretentious and that children should have their own first and middle names. Think of the child's welfare, not family history.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it is legal. All the parents have to do is put the name they want the child to have on the birth certificate. It does not have to have the same surname as the father.

Source(s): Genealogy research.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A first, second, third, or whatever is only supposed to be used in consecutive generations, not skip generations. If a generation is skipped, then it starts all over.

• 1 decade ago

There are no laws preventing it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.