Raymond asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Should Lost Hikers pay for rescue efforts? Should the family pay if dead?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Rescue is usually not free if it's due to a person's own stupidity, risk-taking and recklessness (like drinking, smoking dope, etc.). My younger cousin had to be helicoptered off a ledge when he was 13 and it cost my uncle plenty of $$$$$. Other friends got stuck up canyon by a flashflood and it cost them 0. If people get lost, they didn't prepare well and were reckless so, yes, they should pay. If there are mitigating circumstances that are beyond their control like weather, earthquakes, etc., then they shouldn't have to pay for rescue. If the deceased is a minor child, then, yes, the family should pay for recovery of the body because the parents are responsible for the actions of their children. If the deceased is an adult, then his/her estate should be billed for the costs of recovery.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes they should. They go mountain climbing in the middle of a storm, or right before a storm is going to hit, and it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to mount search and rescue efforts. If theses clowns had to pay for this, they might use some judgement.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with the first guy. They pay taxes which makes thier salary i doubt they wanted to get lost

• 1 decade ago

They do, it is called taxes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.