Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Why is it disrespectfull/ rude to wear a hat at the dinner table?

We've established that it is disrespectful/rude (same thing really). But what is the logical reason as to how/why? How does one wearing a hat to the table show disrespect/how is it rude?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think young guys were the first to start wearing backward baseball caps at the dinner table. To me it looked like they were using them as a kind of hairband, to keep their too-long hair from getting into their faces while they ate. If this is your problem, try sitting up straighter, or slicking your hair back with gel. You might be even able to wear some kind of narrow headband. Girls with long hair have this problem all the time.

In any case, it is impolite to wear a hat or a baseball cap at the dinner table. It's just one of those cases where "let it all hang out" collides with custom and etiquette. Customs do change -- it used to be polite for a husband to wear a suit and tie to the family dinner table (except on Saturday perhaps). Then it became acceptable for him to leave off the suit coat and just wear his white shirt and tie. Nowadays he's just supposed to wear a shirt with sleeves of some kind.

Meanwhile, solve your hair problem some other way, and appear at the table without your cap.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

unless you are Hasidim...why would you want to wear a hat to a dinner table?if cold ask the heat to be turned up! it is polite to remove your hat as entering a building as having removed the hat in the building..it is not necessary at the table.as elbows are rude placed on the table,so is wearing a hat.removing a hat by women is not required.its just the way this etiquette rule is.if a person wants to wear gloves and hat at the table...i could care less!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not everything about etiquette is totally logical. But if you keep in mind that hats are mainly for protecting your head from the weather, plus the fact that they used to be much larger than they are today, it's not so hard to see why they're not considered appropriate at the dinner table.

• 1 decade ago

Because if u are a guest at my donner table. I would like to have dinner with you and not the IMAGE you want to portray.

Thats why Baseball caps etc are not allowed at the dinner table. Its not an issue if there is no Sun inside your house.

Otherwise ya just doing it for show.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think people are finding it more and more difficult to justify this custom. I don't see it as a bad or good custom, but if "completing an outfit" and not "messing up one's hair to remove it" is good enough for women, it perhaps is good enough for men as well. After all, what use are baggy pants, showing half of one's azz and all their their stylish boxers, if you can't wear your cap backwards?

• 1 decade ago

Hats are/were considered outdoor apparel - just like boots and coats. If you are indoors, remove your hat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.