? asked in Consumer ElectronicsTiVO & DVRs · 1 decade ago

DVD Recorder Issue From TiVo?

I have been recording numerous Tivoed programs onto DVD using my Sony DVD burner for years (and for my own personal use).

I have been unable to DVD episodes of "Friday Night Lights" off my TiVo (I'm with DirecTV),as after about 2 minutes of recording it warns of copyright protections and aborts the recording. Everything I normally DVD-Record is from my TiVo and it is all network television (but this is the first time I am trying to record the Directv channel 101.

How does this work? What signal is involved that tells my Sony DVD recorder that my TiVo is playing back a program that it is not permitted to record?

Is there anyway to circumvent this issue? Or a forum someone can point me to to better assist me in learning more about this.

Thanks

Update:

I should add that the on-screen message is "INF WRITE", but the blue screen of death on the TV shows that there are copyright issues.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The signal is called CGMS-A. Thete mey be technological fixes, but in respect for copyright holders, I won't mention them.

Since FNL is a broadcast series, and broadcasters are not permitted to carry such signals, nor are cable providers permitted to add them to broadcast stations, you can complain to the cable provider.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.