The word means "book." When we say, "the Bible," we are actually saying "the Book."
When we speak of the Inspiration of Scripture, we are speaking of the fact that the Bible is like no other book in the world. Other writings convey the thoughts of men, but the Bible is a divine revelation from God. Men were instrumental in reducing the scriptures to print, but men did not author the scriptures. The Bible tells us the following in II Peter 1:20-21: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." This is commonly called VERBAL INSPIRATION. II Timothy 3:16 tells us that ALL scripture is GIVEN by inspiration of God. That is, it was inspired of God the moment it was SPOKEN, and then the spoken word was reduced to writing by appointed scribes (II Sam. 8:17; 20:25; II Kgs. 19:2; 22:3; I Chr, 24:6; Ezr. 7:6; Jer. 36:10, 12, 32; 37:15; Mat. 8:19; 15:1; 17:10; Luk. 5:30; Luk. 11:44; Acts 23:9).
There are some very strong proofs for the inspiration of scripture. I've chosen to list five of them:
The Bible is a UNIQUE Book. The Bible plainly CONDEMNS the human race! The Bible says that all have sinned, man at his best state is altogether vanity, we are condemned already, and that only Jesus Christ can save us. What man would write a Book like that? It was obviously written by Someone OTHER than man.
The Bible is also different in that it is an AUTHORITIVE Book. The Author of the Bible generally says, "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" (Isa. 8:20; Jn. 14:6). Man needs an absolute Final Authority, and the Bible professes to be the authority. No other Book is as authoritive as the Bible.
The Bible is an INFALLIBLE Book. It contains no mistakes. What other ancient writing contains over 700,000 words with no mistakes?
It's a BLESSED Book. God USES the Bible. Millions have come to know Christ through the written word, and millions have found unmeasurable joy between its covers. Many great Christian works have been founded and used for many years with the Bible being the authority, and many Christians have found great comfort and peace in it's promises. God has BLESSED us through the Bible. Why would He do this if it wasn't His inspired word?
The Bible is a PRESERVED Book. With all of the opposition that the Bible has faced over the centuries, why does it still exist? Why hasn't someone been successful in destroying it? There's only one answer: Psalm 12:6-7.
The King James Authorized Version, the Book that God uses and the Devil hates. It was originally translated under King James I of England between the years 1604 and 1611. The King James Bible is an English translation from the "Textus Receptus" or "Received Text" of the reformation. This means that the KJV is supported by NINETY-FIVE PERCENT OF ALL MANUSCRIPT EVIDENCE. All other translations are based on the remaining five percent evidence.
Most people (including Bible college professors) have been led to believe that the new translations, such as the ASV, the NIV, the RSV, and the NASV are just revisions of the old King James Bible. Nothing could be further from the truth!
All new translations are based on the Westcott and Hort Greek Text (wrongly referred to as "THE Greek Text" by people who enjoy playing make believe). Westcott and Hort were two English "scholars" who spent the late 1800's communicating with evil spirits and perverting the word of God by fooling around with corrupt Roman Catholic manuscripts. All new translations are based on the work of these two men; so all true Bible-believers avoid the new versions.
The King James Bible is from a whole different text , known as the Byzantine or Syrian type text, which comes from a line of manuscripts that run clear back to Antioch, Syria, which just happens to be where the disciples were first called "Christians" (Acts 11:26). God has honored this text throughout Church History, throughout the Protestant Reformation, and since 1611, He has been honoring the King James Bible by saving millions and millions of lost souls with it's preaching and teaching. It is the Book of all Books, because it is the pure and preserved word of God for the English speaking people.
Translating the King James Bible
Unlike Westcott, Hort, and the R.V. Committee, King James went through great efforts to guard the 1611 translation from errors. Please note the following:
1. In 1604, King James announced that fifty-four Hebrew and Greek scholars had been appointed to translate a new Bible for English speaking people. The number was reduced to forty-seven by the time the work formally began in 1607.
2. Rather than working together all at one location, these men were divided into six separate groups, which worked at three separate locations. There were two at Westminster, two at Oxford, and two at Cambridge.
3. Each group was given a selected portion of Scripture to translate.
4. Each scholar made his own translation of a book, and then passed it on to be reviewed by each member of his group.
5. The whole group then went over the book together.
6. Once a group had completed a book of the Bible, they sent it to be reviewed by the other five groups.
7. All objectionable and questionable translating was marked and noted, and then it was returned to the original group for consideration.
8. A special committee was formed by selecting one leader from each group. This committee worked out all of the remaining differences and presented a finished copy for the printers in 1611.
9. This means that the King James Bible had to pass at least FOURTEEN examinations before going to press.
10. Throughout this entire process, any learned individuals of the land could be called upon for their judgment, and the churches were kept informed of the progress.
QUESTION: Does THIS sound like an HONEST work of God or a DISHONEST work of the Devil?