Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Makeup for a young girl - please read?

I have a 9 year old daughter, and one of the things she asked for for Christmas is makeup. She has never worn any, except for stage makeup for shows.

Now, I am not asking for advice as to whether or not she should wear makeup or not - I have talked with my husband already, and we decided that while we think she's still far too young to wear makeup outside the house, there's nothing wrong with it if she wants to wears it around the house for a couple of years and learned how to apply it, find her own style, and not make herself look like a baby prostitute.

What I would like to know is some places that sell relatively inexpensive makeup that would be fun for a young girl to just try out, what cosmetics would be good for a first timer, etc. Like I said, I don't want or need advice as to whether or not I should allow it - like I said, my husband and I discussed it and we are the parents.

And she is also getting toys, like a doll and a magic trick kit and art supplies and some rollerblades, so I'm not trying to "make her grow up too fast." Just a disclaimer - thanks!

Haha I'm not paranoid what other people think, if I was there are some questions on here I wouldn't have answered. But people who think their advice is worth its weight in gold really annoy me, so I'm trying to filter them out. Probably won't work though.

Favorite Answer

At her age all she needs is some light glittery "preteen" make up, I wouldn't go with any eyeliners or dark colors...

"Clair's" or "Icing" sell a lot of cute make up for younger girls. ( here's some examples http://www.claires.com/beauty_giftables_fierce.asp... http://www.claires.com/beauty_giftables_pretty.asp...

Assuming she doesn't have extra sensitive skin, I'd get some cheap makeup from a discount shop or supermarket. Own brand stuff. I just bought my daughter some from Primark and from Aldi.

Like you said, she won't be wearing it day in day out .

You may need to be strict, though. My daughter's only allowed to wear makeup for special occasions, and a number of times I've sent her upstairs to wash her face before school.

I'd say a couple of years is on the short side, though. Frankly, it doesn't matter how beautifully it's applied. An eleven year old in makeup DOES look like a baby prostitute. My daughter's nearly 14.

• Meghan

I think that is too young because a 12 year old really doesn't need any makeup. Unless you want to enhance your features, go light on the eyes and avoid the lipstick and just go with natural colors that match your skintone. But like I said, 12 year olds don't really need any makeup.

• .

Well, I'm in a different country so can't advise you on actual shops to buy it from. But, I've just recently bought some nice makeup sets from eBay, for 2 little girls in my family who are 3.

Stop being so paranoid about what other people think, it's your decision whether you want to buy your daughter make up or not, lol. As I said, I'm buying it for 3 year olds because it's what they asked me to buy them. Every little girl likes to put on makeup, it doesn't mean that they're going to grow up too fast or go out all the time with their faces plastered in the stuff.

• I love the dollar store for these types of things. Sometimes they have the covergirl 4-color eyeshadows in there for a buck! And lip gloss, lip stick, shimmer gel, eyeliner, lipliner, etc. Good beginning make-up is mellow tones of eyeshadow and lip gloss, and of course most girls like sparkles, so maybe a pot of shimmer or sparkle gel. And at the dollar store, it's so inexpensive that if she doesn't like it or doesn't use it it's no big loss at all. If you don't have a dollar store around you, you could also try Big Lots. If that's a no-go as well, Target has some make-up kits that are pretty well priced.

It's not professional by any means but most places like Walmart/Target/Sears and more sell the make up value kits. It's like a big box with plenty of lip gloss, lip stick, eye shadow, blush, etc. etc. It comes with all the tools you will ever need. I wouldn't recommend it for an adult, but for young girls it's a fun kit to experiment with. Plus they are fairly inexpensive and you can get them as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want. They typically are located where you find all the pre-packaged bath supplies. =)

You can get little girl make-up kits just about anywhere. Walmart, Target, probably even Rite-Aid.

But, you should really think about what is in that make-up. Even so called "all natural" make-up is full of chemicals that can really mess up your skin. I never wear make-up and I am 29. I have a 16 month old and she will never be allowed to wear make-up. I am not going to smear nasty chemicals on her pretty new skin.

You don't want to get her anything too dark like dark blues or blacks, even though she is in the house if you have vistitors well if she had black eye shadow on just for fun, how would your vistitors know that? I went throught the same thing with my daughter who is now 11. She isn't aloud to wear dark colors but I am allowing her to wear eye shadow and mascara, she won't wear eyliner until she is 13. Some great places to get makeup for your daughters age would be places like WalMart and JCPenny's. One think I know my daughter absolutely loves is lipsmackers. Great little lip gloss sets and lip balms for a great price and they come in so many flavors she recently got a big pack of Kool-Aid flavored ones. But as far as makeup you want to get your daughter something like CoverGirl Sheerly Eyes Nude Enhancers or CoverGirl Blossom Eyes Enhancers. Now as far as mascara get her something that barely enhances the eyes like CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Eye Brightning Mascara. Some other great things if you feel CoverGirl is just too old and not right for your daughter try something like a simple kids makeup set like the one at http://www.estella-nyc.com/makeupkit.html?utm_sour...

I hope I could help! :)

Source(s): I am a mom of two girls one boy! Girl: 11 Girl: 8 Boy: 4

The toy department often has cheap little make up kits for children- it's real make up and they feel like they're wearing the real thing, but the formula has been changed so that the stuff wears off VERY quickly.

I wouldn't get her adult make up as it does stain, whereas the childrens stuff usually doesn't

when i was young i loved to wear play makeup but my parents wouldn't allow it outside the house. go to toys r us and get her one of those boxes full of makeup. theres little lip glosses eyeshadow and sometimes nail polish its so worth the money there only like $20. plus if you bought her real makeup like mascara ect. she'd probally ruin it

Mark makeup by Avon is made for girls and young adults. Their lipglosses are really good, it's 2 for 1 right now. They sell stuff young girls would like. You can order online:

http://www.BuyMarkMakeup.info