What does liability insurance cover?

My friend got in an accident with a 2009 acura today and he doesnt know the model but when he was driving, his brakes failed or wouldnt stop or something or the bridge was covered in ice (i dont know what exactly happened because he tells me one of these and he isnt even sure completely what happened) he drives a... show more My friend got in an accident with a 2009 acura today and he doesnt know the model but when he was driving, his brakes failed or wouldnt stop or something or the bridge was covered in ice (i dont know what exactly happened because he tells me one of these and he isnt even sure completely what happened) he drives a 1998 nissan quest. So he was driving today on the bride and the acura was in front of him and he braked and the car didnt stop and he hit the car infront of him and the bumper of acura which he crashed into got cracked while his whole hood and the driver side window broke. He told me he has liability insurance and doesnt know what it covers.

What does his insurance cover? Will it cover the damages on his vehicle? The lady told him to pay for a new bumper. Will the insurance cover her bumper? Like does he have to pay for all the damages on his car or what? He has esurance. What exactly does liability insurance cover?

No one got hurt.