Hot Water Pipe to Washing Machine?

I have a new washing machine that is cold water only - last one had both hot and cold - I have unplug the hot water lead and left it turned off and placed a copper cap with a washer on it - this is still dripping - any suggestions?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Turn the water off,remove the valve and fit a compression blank end on in its place.

• 1 decade ago

Wrap the thread of the hot water stub with a liberal coat of PTFE tape. This is sometimes called "plumber's tape". It's usually white and only sticks to itself. Lay it on in the same direction as the threads for about four or five turns.

When you fit the cap the tape will compress between the pipe and the cap threads and seal the joint.

Even better is to make sure that the cap has a rubber seal inside it too. Better still is a plastic cap (still use the tape).

To add belt and braces you could attach one of those little taps specially designed for washing machine feeder pipes. They have small blue and red levers and are sold in pairs by B&Q and most plumbing shops for about £8 or so. These isolate the water very well indeed and you should fit them anyway because it will make removing your machine easier in future. If you already have them and still have a leak then it probably needs replacing anyway.

• 1 decade ago

Which is leaking?

The faucet or the washing machine?

I'm assuming the washing machine had plastic hose for fittings rather than any type of steel.

If your cap is leaking I would suggest you visit your hardware store and pick up some teflon tape in the plumbing department. This tape acts as a tread sealant between the two fittings. Not clear on the washer in the copper fitting you used either. Is it a black flexible type washer? Inside the fitting? If so get rid of that while you are putting tape around the male thread. If the tape peels out while your tightening the cap then you put the tape on in the wrong direction.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did you put any ptfe tape around the thread before putting the copper cap on? f you don't have any then tear a strip of plastic from a carrier bag and wrap t around the thread then put the cap back on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

shut off the hot water and remove the valve stem and replace the washer.

• 1 decade ago

Brass cap on plastic threads? Did it go on easily? You might have cross threaded the plastic male threads... They make a teflon goop, it's messy but it might be what's needed. Back the brass cap off, brush goop on threads, tighten. They make nylon/teflon caps to use instead of brass.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Id go withe tape, its thicker and will create a better seal, available at any hardware shop.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.