Question for true hardware geeks?

I'm very coursed in computer hardware, so impress me:)

I run my OS and programs off of a SSD with a pci 750mb/s write and about 700 read. It runs amazing but I have an idea:

Why not have 2 separate computer rams.

For instance, 8gb of DDR3 1600mhz and another (maybe in pci port- gigabyte makes one) or on another part of the motherboard 32gb of DDR2 667mhz.

Instead of installing programs onto a HDD or SSD, install them directly into the slower 32gb? Along with the operating system. And of course because it would reset when the computer turned off, have the ram powered by a li-polymer mobo integrated battery like the one that powers the internal clock, which would hold a charge or like 10 days.

And when the user launches a program, it's operations and interface is loaded into the faster 8gb ram just like when it transfers from the HDD to RAM, but from the slow RAM to the fast ram when accessed.

Now, this is hypothetical, but is this possible?

I think it would improve computer operations like crazy.

What's your opinion?

I mean, you would never have to

• Liz
    Best Answer

Okay... Me likey the concepts here, and you probably know better than I how the actual electrons get around, but why not simplify it one step further, and rather than having 2 separate physical banks of RAM, with different properties and buses that must be made to talk to each-other, simply take the whopping great amount off addressing space made available in 64 bit architecture, and nominal amount of flash memory, store your OS and program IMAGES on the flash, then load them in to the first few gigs on boot. Since you address RAM piling in to the TERABYTES with a 64 bit word, the only real reason not to store the the entire functioning computer system along with all of its files and everything in RAM is price and power volatility.

I tell you what... If you take a look at Damn Small Linux. it does exactly that. Loads the whole shebang (which ain't much but could be) in to RAM before rendering the user environment. It is fast. Ludicrously fast. Your programs are open before the mouse button is all the way up...

Nice creativity of mind.

But this model has some difficulties.

1. Primary storage devices such as RAM is always a way too expensive thus everyone can't afford this.

2. Storage devices such as RAM is not reliable, they can loose data quite often.

3. RAM needs to be refreshed frequently, if it requires lot of power while computer is OFF

i think the performance will be slow

That's why they made ssd's.