Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the best technique to paint a premade bought desk?

i have a desk with that fake wood looking pattern on it and i want to paint it, is it one of the surfaces that i should sand down first or can i just paint it as is? and what paint is recommended? spray paint... airbrush.. house paint? any info will help, thanks. Oh and i plan on doing a two tone, one layer then put down some vinyl then do a different cover.. if that helps.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should probably put a deglossing primer on first, they sell this sort of thing at lowe's. Ask the paint associate about Valspar Deglosser and he should know what you are talking about. This stuff is usually used for painting over ceramic tile so it sticks very well... after this I would just follow the guidelines on the primer can as to which finish to use (oil or latex), oil paint is generally a little better with ware, and latex is a little more flexible.

Source(s): I write a home repair blog http://www.popssurvivalguide.com/
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.