Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

Are Billboards for small law firms/small businesses worth spending the money?

Billboards are expensive. Has anyone rented a billboard for a small law firm, or some other type of small business? Was it worth spending that much money on it?

Favorite Answer

Hi Luke,

I will try to answer your question rather than try to sell you something. Above the line advertising does work and is really good for branding. If you get a good advert, an eye catching one in a good location where people see it, (think traffic jams) then it does get you noticed.

Will it drive lots of business your way? Unlikely as people don't really jot phone numbers down from these or remember email addresses. Law firms are something you only need now and then so there would not be instant buys, but at least they know a name. Personally I would only recommend billboards for brand awareness in the type of industry that you are in.

They are expensive alright but over a period of time they do get a brand message out there. If you are in it for the long term, then probably worth pursuing, but if it is just to boost short term sales, then I would think carefully.

The only other way it might work was if you were to maybe advertise something like "Get a free will made today, limited period only."

Something like that might drive traffic to you and you could possibly upsell.

Hope this helps

Well, not to dissuade you too much, but I don't know that right now is the best time to venture out into your own business. With the economy flailing like it is, the business environment is pretty shaky. Keep in mind that if you do start your own, you will have things like healthcare insurance that you will need to get on your own, and it can be extremely costly. I know an acquaintance who tried to start his own business earlier this year, and he is really struggling. When the economy tightens up, there is less money available for companies and individuals to spend, so unless you are providing an absolutely necessary service or product, you run the risk of defaulting. Not to mention the fact that if you leave your job, and the business does fail, you may have a hard time finding a similarly paying job again. I would suggest keeping your full time job, and doing a little something on the side to see what the market is like. If you get so busy that your regular job becomes a nuisance, then you can make a decision aobut what to do. If you find that you are not very busy, then maybe you can decide to wait until the economy levels out a little. I am not trying to be a dream killer - I am all for small businesses, and I too have a dream to have my own one day. I just don't know if now is the best time. And, as everyone will tell you, it's all about timiing. Good luck to you : ) UPDATE : After re-reading your Q, I can see that you had already thought about all that. My bad! Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, and are being responsible. I wish you the best.