Anonymous

Doctor, CEO, Lawyer, or Airline Pilot? (Which is the best for a person who wants the following)?

1. Desire to make enough money to provide his family with a good life and a nice house.

2. Job flexibility, the ability to move from one state to the other.

3. Job Security.

4. The ability to send his kids off to the top colleges and the top universities.

I am looking to narrow it down, I heard that airline pilots make about 140k per year but I did not believe that at all. So if anyone can help give me some background info about which profession would be the best please let me know.

I want a profession which can give me the four qualifications, I am interested in four of those occupations. Also I plan on attend a top level school for my masters (I am planning on going to Harvard, currently I am a college freshman at Cornell).

Favorite Answer

CEO would offer the best of all four categories, being the boss comes with its own perks, though CEOs vary greatly, business is still the most lucrative profession out there.

Airline Pilot would be the hardest for security and flexibility (if you are constantly moving around you don't have the flexibility to plan things out as nicely as you would want, obviously you would get benefits by cheaper costs or discounts in so you will be working overtime. It is also difficult to attend school while holding such a position. The 140K is correct, but that isn't till later, most start out with much lower wages, I recommend reading this.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009/06/16/pilot-p...

I have doctors and lawyers in my family so from personal experience alone, on how these two work in regards to what you have listed.

In regards to lawyers, the money is at the defenders side of the table as the defendant either equals or pays better than the government, (which is the only source attorneys get their pay from). The work load is intense though, but it is more structured.

The demand of the medical profession isn't expected to shrink but the pay is (I believe it is still more than sufficient, so no worries there). More free time for school is you chose doctor, but the hours will be irregular, emergency call and what not.

The work for these are quite diverse, perhaps you should narrow it down more on what you find enjoyable.

I recommend you take the Holland Code Aptitude test to see what general elements of a career interest you.

http://www.roguecc.edu/counseling/HollandCodes/tes...

Those four professions require very distinct skills that one must have or one isn't going to be very good at it and not being very good at these kind of professions would be very tragic.

Do you think you have all skills necessary to pick just any of those jobs and be successful at it?

And even so, since you'll be doing it for the rest of your life, you must also be contented in your job, I can't see how an airline pilot would be just as happy to be a lawyer, or a doctor just as happy to be a CEO as they are totally different mind sets.

Look at it from this point of view, don't be blinded my your wants but be realistic in your expectations, you need to change your perspective, see what your talents are, see what you'd be happy to do and within those boundaries, see what job you can do, I mean even a great car salesman could make more money than an airline pilot or a failed lawyer.

good luck

RE:

3. Job Security.

Source(s): Simple way to find a lawyer http://servicesarticles.com/Ask-a-Lawyer.html

I strooooooooongly recommend that you decide which one you actually want to do - or rather which one you would enjoy. Picking a job because (essentially) it makes a lot of money sounds good. But then try and do it for 20-30-40 years. You had better enjoy it. I would take some time to look into each and see if you would enjoy doing it. Also your categories are very broad - doctor could be a GP, a specialist, a surgeon ... all of which are varied - a GP has much more flexibility in movement than a heart specialist ... Same with lawyers - are you talking general or specialist ... or a trial lawyer (don't do that if you have a fear of public speaking ...)

For pure salary info, try: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/salary

• Tedi

For Legal help I recommend this website where you can find all the solutions. http://creditandfinancesolutions.info/index.html?s...

RE :Doctor, CEO, Lawyer, or Airline Pilot? (Which is the best for a person who wants the following)?

3. Job Security.

Follow 3 answers

Source(s): For Legal help I recommend this website where you can find all the solutions. http://creditandfinancesolutions.info/index.html?s...
  • Ann

I suggest that you take an aptitude test. An aptitude test assesses your skills and your interests and matches you to the careers that are right for you. A high school or college adviser can recommend a good one. Failing that, go to the workforce development agency (unemployment) and request one. JobFit is excellent.