LDS Only: What is better to stay home or go to church and not pay tithe?

Want to go to church but don't want to pay tithing. I can't go to church with out paying tithing because that would be wrong. I feel like well maybe I can go once a month but then don't they expect 10 percent no matter if you go or not and if you go once or 4 times? What if I can't afford tithing? What if I can only pay 40 is it ok to go once a month?

Favorite Answer

You've got a few good answers from Latter-day Saints already, telling you that no one is making you pay tithing or charging you for church attendence. I want to add that you shouldn't feel like you are hurting or burdening anyone by not paying tithing. We keep the church going through the hours of service we contribute to our callings and the money we donate happily so that people can attend and learn about the truth. Keep coming to church regardless of whether you intend to pay tithing or stop smoking or do anything else that the church teaches. Make changes in your life as you see fit to do so. It's not God's way to force people to change.

• Right
      4 years agoReport

When you lead people away like this, you are not helping to build the kingdom. Tithing is absolutely, without question, a requirement for exaltation. Don't make it sound OK not to pay it.

www.mormon.org

If you would learn about the church you'd like to go to you would know that tithing is not a requirement for its members. The only time anyone would know whether or not you pay tithing is at the end of the year when you do tithing settlement. If you go they'll ask if you are a full tithe payer and you say "yes" if you are or "no" if you're not. There are no repercussions. If you feel like you would like to pay tithing but are not able to at this moment talk with your bishop about this concern, he will help you find the answers for you.

You won't be kicked out of church if you don't pay tithing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who attend church every week that don't pay a full tithe.

As far as tithing goes, it pains me when I hear people say that they can't afford to pay tithing. If you have faith and realize that everything you have belongs to the Lord, you will learn that you can't afford NOT to pay tithing. My husband and I have stumbled along with me a full time SAHM and him, at times, bringing in as little as $10/hr at his full time job, but we have always paid tithing, and somehow, even when the numbers on paper don't add up, we have always gotten by. If you have faith and do the best you can and pay a full tithe, I believe that you will be blessed temporally as well as spiritually.

• Maria

What about John 3:16? , what about Acts 5:1-10? And these were early Christians who were participating in this practice of selling and giving a possession up to God through the Apostles. Apparently it's still pretty serious if you end up lying to God after you promise or should I say covenant that you're going to give something to Him to begin with. Yea, I use to not pay my tithing. But I was using the money I should have been paying for tithing for selfish reasons, to support a very expensive bad habit. I also suppose I was tempting the Lord as well, wanted to see if their was any big difference between not paying it and paying it. I think their is, I cut out my bad habit which ended up with me having more money in the long run so theirs a benefit in itself. Plus the money I give up in tithing was a lot less than the addiction I was paying into. My money is being spent a lot better than it use to be spent, therefore I guess I am blessed. But I doubt you see it that way. Where does this tie into the atonement? You know as someone pointed out earlier as an answer, Christ did mentioned to the Rich man that he needed to obey the commandments, and if he wanted to be Perfect he needed to sell everything. So apparently Christ can request things out of people aside from His gift of the atonement to everyone.

Why would you think you can't go to church unless you pay tithing? It's not like it's a cover charge or something.

It's the TEMPLE you CAN'T go to if you don't pay tithing.

By all means, go to church! Perhaps you will learn WHY you should pay tithing, and then you will be motivated to pay it.

As far as if you can't afford it, talk to the bishop. He doesn't want you to go hungry or anything. He will help you work something out.

Going to church should have nothing to do with your paying tithing or NOT. We've had many years as a married couple when my husband could not see his way clear to pay tithing - we just had TOO much debt and not enough income and not enough "FAITH" to try it sometimes....

BUT Never have we NOT gone to church. The Lord wants your faith, your spiritual growth and happiness FAR more than he wants your MONEY - so does the church. PLENTY of people do not pay tithing for whatever personal reasons they have - don't let that stop you from fellow-shipping with the Saints at church. Trust me THEY have issues individually too.

Both these things bring blessings, but they are not tied to one another. I recently did not attend church(due to poor health for more than a year) but still tithed. That is because I was not paying an attendance fee, I was fulfilling what I could of commandments.

BTW, I am poor and often feel pinched and not able to tithe, yet I find that when I do anyway in faith, somehow things fall into place. Pray about these things, and know that your Heavenly Father loves you in whatever state you present yourself, tithing or even attending or not, depending on your abilities. God's people will always welcome you, no matter what. Nobody save your bishop and a few senior officials need know your tithe. It is not their affair.

Source(s): LDS In this life and the next
  • GO TO CHURCH!!!

Why miss out on taking the sacrament--this is your baptismal convenant we're talking about--your promise to always take the name of Jesus upon you!!

Why miss out on the fellowship with good people?

Why miss out on all the education, the interesting thoughts, the scripture study?

You are only hurting yourself if you don't count yourself a member. If you go to church, you and your Heavenly Father can work this tithing thing out together. So many people are struggling right now, that if only people that were 100% on their tithing were attending church, I would bet only a handful would show up.

Tithing is between you and your Heavenly Father, and I am sure that He knows the struggles that you are going through financially. He would not want you to stay home because you cant pay.

Source(s): LDS

Go whether or not you decide to pay tithing. You can reap the blessings that come from activity, even if you don't want the blessings that come from being a full tithe payer. Some churches mention tithes and offerings at every meeting and pass a bowl around; the LDS church will never do that. Contributions are private. When tithing settlement comes up once a year, admit that you are not a full tithe payer. It won't be the end of the world. Not everyone has the faith to pay a full tithe.

You can go to church all you want and not pay tithing. I can't imagine it would be a good feeling though.

Tithing is only required if you want to be worthy for a temple recommend, or to hold a calling.

And really, there's always a way to fit tithing into your budget. The only excuse to not pay it is if you don't understand its importance. By that, I mean that if you understand all that God has done for you, 10% to help build His kingdom on earth won't seem like much at all.

And if it helps to put things into perspective for you, I know of a homeless woman in a stake near mine who is a member, pays tithing on what meager change she has, and even does her part in missionary work. And I'm not making that up.

But like I said, if you really understand all that God has done for you, no ammount of work you do for him will seem like too much. If you don't fully understand, you need to learn. In the very least, read up on what Christ had to go through to atone for our sins.

Source(s): LDS