Can I claim my girlfriends child on my taxes and get full EIC?

I am claiming my girlfriend and her 4 year old son as dependents on my taxes for 2009. Since he is not technically my son when I add him as other on turbo tax it does not give me the large return I get if I say he is my son. Does anyone know any details on how this might work?
7 answers 7