Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

what is the most populous city in the USA by area density?

Im thinking its sanfrancisco even though it has a population of just about 1 million, people live very compact.

Its deffinately not houston because that place is major car driving sprawl and spread to far apart to be convienient or called a real city even though it has twice the population of sanfrancisco.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, but it lists Union City, NJ as the densest city in the US as of the 2000 census: http://www.demographia.com/db-2000city50kdens.htm

• Fun1
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

On any sort of large scale it would be Manhattan. There are other places that are maybe a square mile and have quite a few people, but Manhattan has 1.5 million people in 22 square miles! That's all the size of Manhattan. That's an area of 2 miles by 11 miles, with 1.5 MILLION people!!! And its not even where most people live. Its mainly a Commercial place, and still has to be one of the densest places there is. Its quite feasible on a workday for there to actually be about another 1.5 million people on that tiny island.

San Fran I don't know about. But what I've read from other places shows it to be dense, but not insanely crowded. I was thinking like you, with all of the narrow houses and all, but no. :-(

• 1 decade ago

Freaking NY!!!

• 1 decade ago

what about Los Angeles? I don't really know, just guessing it ranks up there somewhere :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.