Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 1 decade ago

what is the most populous city in the USA by area density?

Im thinking its sanfrancisco even though it has a population of just about 1 million, people live very compact.

Its deffinately not houston because that place is major car driving sprawl and spread to far apart to be convienient or called a real city even though it has twice the population of sanfrancisco.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, but it lists Union City, NJ as the densest city in the US as of the 2000 census: http://www.demographia.com/db-2000city50kdens.htm

• Fun1

On any sort of large scale it would be Manhattan. There are other places that are maybe a square mile and have quite a few people, but Manhattan has 1.5 million people in 22 square miles! That's all the size of Manhattan. That's an area of 2 miles by 11 miles, with 1.5 MILLION people!!! And its not even where most people live. Its mainly a Commercial place, and still has to be one of the densest places there is. Its quite feasible on a workday for there to actually be about another 1.5 million people on that tiny island.

San Fran I don't know about. But what I've read from other places shows it to be dense, but not insanely crowded. I was thinking like you, with all of the narrow houses and all, but no. :-(

Freaking NY!!!

what about Los Angeles? I don't really know, just guessing it ranks up there somewhere :)