Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Hi guys: What do YOU think sounds more likely, polytheism or monotheism?

..Atheism or deism NOT being an option.

I just want to know why you think believing in just ONE god makes more sense than believing in MANY gods, because most monotheists seem to contend that. What are your reasons? (Please give me something better than quotes from obscure holy books. Think for yourself. =D)

Or if you're a polytheist, why does polytheism make more sense to you? Or if you're an atheist or a deist or whatever you might choose to identify as, what do YOU think? Does one view make more sense than the other? Or are they equally likely/unlikely?

Hopefully I'll get some interesting answers to this one. =)

(((((Gumbo))))) =)

Favorite Answer

There are very few things in the Universe, maybe none, that exist as singularities. Even Singularities are assumed to have probably happened before, or will happen again.

• Loki

I would think monotheism would make the most sense. Either there would be simply one source for everything, or there would have evolved multiple gods. In the second case, it seems likely that the most powerful god would have annihilated the others. Perhaps I'm just biased, though, as I was raised in a very monotheistic environment.

For the record, though, if I weren't an atheist I would be a pantheist.

• Eds

Cyanide,

I spent many years deciding on this for myself. I spent most of that time researching and reading everything that I could get my hands on. I had a NDE when I was 17 and spent some time in a coma. After that I felt the need to "find GOD". It was a long road for me and I am glad that I visited many different ceremonies and services while I was studying. I believe that Monotheism is correct but I do not attempt to force my beliefs upon others at all. I believe when you are ready to study and find what you need then you will seek it on your own or go to another and study with them. I became a Christian over twenty years ago and I am now assisting in preaching duties at our Church. Have a great weekend and a wonderful Christmas.

Thanks,

Eds

~~~

Hello LabGrrl. I am glad that you are still here.

~~~

.

Source(s): ~~~~~ LOVE I F E ~~~~~

Atheism is far too much for me ... the Universe is quite vast and too much evidence , at least for me , to point that '' There is NO God ''

Agnosticism would be the correct one except that agnosticism is probably a good , thought not strong , vehicle for skepticism and the whole idea that one would never know the truth , to me , is a lie ... somewhere along our lives and especially at death we will know the truth

Ever since I was a child I never , ever believed in many gods and will never do so ... unlike the way atheists seem to mock religion with tying it to superstitions ( which is partly true I would say ) I never believed in santa claus , astrology , aliens , ghosts and what not

The whole idea of many gods is just ... pagan

It's not biblical

It's not from the Bible

Just like the whole idea that Jesus Christ was born in 25th of December IS pagan --- http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/was-jesus-born-...

To me superstitions , paganism and mormonism/jehovah witnesses/etc ( cults ) are all the same

To me the most probable are in order :

1 - Deism

2 - Theism ( Christianity )

3 - Agnosticism

4 - Atheism

5 - Superstitions

6 - Theism ( Other religions )

Source(s): When I think of monotheism I think of order , logic and morality ... polytheism to me is an illogical impossibility and really childish ... one of the reasons why I prefer Christianity is that it's not Islam ( One God in '' simplistic terms '' ) , Paganism ( Many gods ) nor Atheism ( No God ) ... Christianity is Triune Monotheism Water , Earth and Air are three but they are one ( the Earth ) The Sun is three yet it is one ( Globe , Heat and Light ) Humans are three yet they are one ( Body , Soul and Spirit ) Humans were created in the image of God My Creator King --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITMxRfBx-E
  • Tony B

There isn't enough room in the universe for two gods. Remember that gods are extremely insecure beings and require obeisance, constant praise and frequent reminders of how mighty, just, compassionate and all-round nice they are. That means they would also be very jealous indeed, and would not be able to live in proximity with another being of a similiar nature.

I think people misunderstand the concept of religion when they ask a christian or monotheist to give a reason for only one god and then say but don't use the bible. Obviously a christian believes that there is only one god regardless of any evidence in life. It is what their religion is based on and their holy books say.

• Victor

I prefer the Nordic idea of one overgod and many lesser gods, each responsible for some part of life. I like the idea that they are constantly in conflict, have their own strenghs and weaknesses, ideas and emotions. Monotheism is way too close to a kid with an ant farm for my tastes.

Both are likely, but not in this given universe which

demonstrates there is no necessity for deities.

I think it's best to not even call them Gods, when some (YHWH?) don't even meet up with the definition of being a deity (all knowing, all powerful, etc.). I can accept being wrong, but there is no testable valid evidence for either option.

I believe its highly unlikely we evolved so I believe in creation.We will all know someday what the truth is when Gods army comes out of the sky to end war.

I believe that there are many Gods but all under the power and authority of one God who created this entire plan to uplift our intelligence and our potential so that we too can become Gods.

If we have an eternity to exist and a God does exist that shares all he knows and understands and we follow his instructions then wouldnt we eventually obtain all the knowledge that he has? Wouldnt that makes us Gods, too?