what was used for this tessellation?

i want to use this as a template for my own tessellation and idk wut shaped they used to start out...a square or a hexagon....plz help!

http://www.dbsullivanstudio.com/artwork/escherism/...

• Pope
    Favorite Answer

Start at the nose of one of the pale green turtles. From there strike a line vertically downward to the lower tip of its right fore flipper, the point where flippers of four turtles meet. Now move horizontally left to the tip of its tail. Then go up to the lower tip of its left fore flipper. Finally, go right to the point of beginning. It is a square.

I really don't know anything about tessellation, but just from a layman's view, I'd say it was a hexagon because the very center of each elliptical shape IS a hexagon.

It would be wise to wait and see what the others say though.