Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

My teacher told me cows would die if we didn't milk them, so tell me how did they survive in the past?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cows not milked would just dry up and not produce milk until their next calf is born.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

A cow who isn't milked would not die from that from now on that a human female who dies not breast feed might die from prodicing milk yet not having it "milked out". in the experience that your instructor advised you that, the instructor became into flawed. If there have been no human beings to take advantage of a cow, that activity could be accomplished by their calf. after all, that's who they produce the milk for, not for human beings. this is purely that a human can take a cow after it has had a calf and proceed to take advantage of it previous the time that a calf many times might. as long as there's a call for for the milk, the cow will proceed to offer it. A farmer can get milk from a cow for years even though if that's milked generally (2 to 3 circumstances an afternoon). If the farmer stops milking the cow (or the calf stops eating milk) the cow would not die. It in basic terms stops producing milk. So whilst i'm a believer in introduction, the reality that cows produce milk isn't a very good argument against evolution. they might do this for their calves even though if human beings did not exist.

• 1 decade ago

I the past, cows didn't continually have milk, and some cows still don't.

The way it works is you breed your cow, and after the baby stops nursing, people just keep milking them. Cows, as long as something is still taking the milk, will keep producing it. After a while a person will have to breed the cow again to make it keep producing.

I don't know if a cow can actually DIE from not being milked, but if they have been milked up to this point they will get VERY uncomfortable.

• Julia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There's no such thing as a wild cow. Cows are an entirely domestic animal, which can not exist without humans. They're like chihuahuas... a chihuahua could never survive in the wild, just like a domestic cow could never survive in the wild.

Cows are descended from the aurochs, which is now extinct. The aurochs did not produce as much milk as a cow, so it didn't need to be milked. The calf would drink all of the milk it produced.

Honestly, cows wouldn't die if they weren't milked. They would produce too much milk, which could lead to an infection, but it wouldn't kill the cow.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They would get extremely sick if we didn't milk them, but they would have calf's in the wild that would drink their mothers milk. You're teacher is uneducated and maybe you could tell her what you learn. Cows wouldn't produce milk without having a baby but we force them to, But they do get extremely sick if left unmilked, that's why on dairy farms they have people called relief milkers. Who milk them if they need to. So I guess in a sense she wasn't completely wrong, just in natural circumstances they wouldn't be put in that position in the first place :]

Source(s): I have family that own a dairy farm :D
  • Kate M
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They had calves that would drink the milk and the milk would dry up once the calf was weaned. Beef cows are not milked and do just fine.

• CF_
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

your teacher is WRONG...

milk cows have their calves taken away at a young age (they become veal) the cows are then milked...

if they didnt get milked they would be uncomfortable for a few days, a rare few might get an infection.. but thats about i..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.