Sandi asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

do guinea pigs stink?

my daughter wants a guinea pig and i want to know if they stink and if i should get a girl or boy? any help??

Favorite Answer

well i would get her a female first off. because you never know how a male reacts because they want to be more dominant. they do not stink in general but the cages do if you don't clean them on a regular basis. unlike the first person to answer i would not leave an animal outside because unlike larger animals guinea pigs are very sensitive to temperature. they have to be in a living environment from 70-80 degrees. and their bites don't hurt. they nibble but its generally painless.

Source(s): I have 2 female guinea pigs :) they are really sweet animals. email me if you would like to know more about them if you end up getting one for your daughter :)

Do Guinea Pigs Stink

Guinea pigs are great for kids, I know on most websites it says that guinea pigs are not good for kids, but that's not true. I know a kid very well and she loves guinea pigs. She became an expert too. She knows almost everything there is to know. She knows more than I know.

It's easy to control their odor. Bathe them once a month. Some guinea pigs love getting bathed and some don't like it.

Have your daughter research about guinea pigs. Tell her to go onto guinealynx.com

There is a lot to learn. Guinea pigs, at the same time as being cuddly, are a lot of responsibility! Kids can take that responsibility though. Guinea pigs will learn who is their owner. The gender doesn't matter, but you should get a female for your daughter. I think your daughter will relate better with a female guinea pig. Males may have more trouble with health problems, but other than that it doesn't matter much.

If you get her a guinea pig, I'm sure she'll fall in love with them! :)

Source(s): Expert on guinea pigs and rodents.

Yes guinea pigs do stink...The guinea pigs do not smell horrible if you constantly keep changing their cage. If you let their cage sit too long then they get into their poop and they reek. To keep the smell to a minimum get a deeper cage for the guinea pig to live in. I had a cage that could have been used for a dog cage and it would smell horrible. I suggest getting a girl guinea pig, but make sure it is comfortable with you . Also when and if you take the guinea pig out of it's cage make sure to have a towl near to clean up any potty that the guinea pigs leave. When i took my guinea pig out it would go to the bathroom all over, but i know some people who's guinea pigs were well behaved. Some guinea pigs shed badly so make sure to keep brushing them out. I wouldn't suggest getting a guinea pig because they don't live very long usally 2-3 years.

Source(s): I have owned a guinea pig and so have some of my friends.
  • ?

Do Guinea Pigs Smell

• Mike

I had one and it smelled fine... unless you don't clean its cage for a while. Just make sure to clean its cage weekly which would mean emptying it out, rinsing it with soap and water, and adding new bedding. Love guinea pigs woot! :D

Can't help you with the girl/boy decision though it would only matter if you were getting more than one, if you are getting multiple guinea pigs make sure you get all male or all female so that they don't end up breeding. Also you should introduce the guinea pigs to each other a a young age if you are getting more than one and keeping them in the same cage or they might fight.

Guinea pigs do not stink if you take good care of them and clean their cage on a regular basis. For bedding I would suggest using an old towel with fleece fabric over top. It is easier to clean, does not smell like regular bedding. Just make sure you wash it at least once a week and clean the hay and poo every 1-3 days.

I would recommend a girl, they're just better. :)

Source(s): Owner of 3 female guinea pigs

Do infant humans stink?

People on here who say that the animals smell are just plain wrong. The animals themselves have no smell--it's their urine that smells. Keep your guinea pig's habitat clean and litter box emptied and you won't smell anything.

Get a good book on raising Guineas if you've never owned one. Or ask your local rescue organization or humane society for some basics. And understand that while this might be your daughter's pet, it's you--the adult--who will ultimately be responsible for the animal's well-being.

Source(s): My two Guineas and four rabbits--who all live indoors AND DON'T STINK.

I've always had guinea pigs as pets....they are wonderful pets.

Strictly speaking of my experiences and feelings....I would recommend due to their very social nature and instinct, that you never keep just one as a pet. I'd always go with 2 females, but I've got friends who have 2 males just as well.

They get very lonely if not with another...

Do they stink?? Well, all animals in cages will, if not cared for properly.

Guinea pigs poop and pee in their cage. Some people say you can get away with cleaning a cage once or twice a week, but honestly, to keep them really clean and healthy, I found myself doing spot cleaning at least 3-4 times a week, with a full cage cleanout and wash, once a week.

They can get sick if not kept clean.

They do make amazing pets, they are social and happy, non agressive unless threatened and a loving little animal. But they need a lot of stimulation, lots of love and attention and care.

Once you have one, you'll be in love...but again, they tend to thrive if they are in a pair.

I've had solo ones as rescues and pairs as adoptions...so after years of experiencing both, unless it's a rescue situation, I'd only get pairs from now on.

GOOD LUCK!!

Remember to check your shelters....often times they have litters or guineas that people have given up.

Source(s): guinealynx.com

NO. Guinea pigs do not stink if you clean their cage regularly. I suppose if you left the cage for more that two and a half weeks then it might smell, but nobody should get a pet if they don't clean the cage.

Usually males are slightly more stinky than females, but as i said, if you take proper care, they don't smell.

Source(s): Personal experience