Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How easy would it be to travel in germany, for an extended period. knowing only very basic german?

I only know very basic german. like "hello" "my name is..." things like that you know?

Basically i have a tape, and I've only got unit 1...

But I was thinking about exchanging to germany, would it be easy to pick up quickly?

Favorite Answer

You should not have a problem.My cousin went to Mannheim as a exchange student and picked german up easily.If your there and have to use it a lot you will pick it up quickly.My cousin has been in German for 6 years now.Plus you will make friends and they can help you learn it faster and you can teach them english.It will be a great experience for you so go for it.

I went to Poland for 4 months as part of an exchange, without knowing any Polish at all, or even knowing a single person there. Everything was new for me. It was tough the first week for sure, but it got progressively easier. by the halfway point I already felt like I'd lived there forever, and was totally comfortable with the town and getting around. I was really surprised at how fast I was able to pick up a few basics.

There will definitely be people around to help you, and you'll learn a lot and gain a lot of confidence!! I say go for it :)

Germany is a difficult language to learn, so if I were you I'd make sure I was in a cosmopolitan city like Berlin where there is a good chance there will be some people who speak English. I also would learn some more German, just so your not at a total loss.

Germans know English quite well (especially the younger generations), and are quite happy to be able to demonstrate their skills with a native speaker of English.

I was in Germany for a good long while. Most people there can at least POINT you to someone who speaks English.

real easy. lots of germans know english.