Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 1 decade ago

John William's Conducing Baton?

Does anyone know the specifications/info on John Williams' conducting baton? This John Williams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams

• petr b
    Favorite Answer

There are many models of batons.

They are selected on personal preference of the user.

Maestro Pierre Boulez' baton(s) are his hands - these seem to work well enough. Ditto maestro Charles Munch, and a host of others.

There is no magic in the baton that does not come through the being of the conductor.

best regards.

I cannot give you the specifics on John Williams' baton. But let me kindly disagree with Petr B. As a person who just went through a conducting class in college I saw a lot of different people try several different batons. The baton you choose needs to be a good baton that fits you. Try several out. Does the bulb end fit in your hand nicely? Is it too long? Too short? Just right? Is it balanced nicely? Does it have a nice weight to it? All these things can and do affect your effectiveness as a conductor. If you are asking this because you have seen the baton and think you might like it, I would find a reputable baton dealer online and ask them your question.

Why on earth do you want to know that?

I'm not even sure if the info will be online at all, it's so irrelevant!