Why do people celebrate Christmas even if they don't believe in God?

I don't get it... My friend doesn't believe in God, and her whole family doesn't, although they celebrate Christmas. It's a little odd...

Favorite Answer

They just want the gifts and food. Christmas is about the birth of my Lord and savior. Oh and Merry Christmas.

The origins of Christmas are not Christian at all. According to the specifics in the Bible, Christ couldn't have been born in December; more like early October. No part of the Bible has any mention of celebrating the birth of Christ on a specific day. In fact, it warns against this. The pagans of the Roman empire celebrated the birth of their sun god on Dec. 25. The Roman emperor Constantine forced pagans to be baptized into Christianity. Because the pagans far outnumbered the Christians, he combined their holiday with Christianity so they could continue to celebrate each year. Many early Christians rejected Christmas altogether. Every aspect of Christmas is rooted in a pagan ritual. No part of it is biblical. Even the story of Christmas is flawed in that it combines different events that occurred at different times into a single night. It also embellishes facts into the events that are not mentioned in the Bible. In all honesty, you're question should be "Why do Christian's celebrate Christmas?" As a Christian, I highly recommend you do some research into the subject, starting with the cited source, as it was quite an eye-opener for me. I used to shout, "Put Christ back in X-mas!" Now I'm happy to see Christ's name taken out of a holiday that demeans His sacrifice and tarnishes His holy name.

December 25th was the celebration of the Winter Solstice, (more like the people realizing days were getting longer). I don't believe in god, I celebrate Christmas, Christmas isn't a religious holiday anymore, It's just the thing people do in December.

• Babel

they still want an excuse to get the presents every year, my sister knew of this kid from England who was not only a school bully, but also claimed to not believe in God, but he still agreed with celebrating Christmas

It's a selfish holiday, most people care more about getting gifts, then the actual meaning behind Christmas.

Because Christmas doesn't have anything to do with god.

First, there's no such thing as a god

Second, if Jesus did exist, there's no proof that he was born on Christmas

Third, people celebrated the winter solstice before christianity was born, christians just used that celebration for their religious holiday

Fourth, because it's a commercial holiday and it's good to take time to celebrate something with friends and family once a year.

Because, most people don't care about the meaning of Christmas anymore.

well, you wouldn't wanna be the family that scrooge and doesn't celebrate christmas while other neighboring fmailies are celebrating and eating and being happy and stuff, dont u? it just becomes a hiliday for some people, the meaning of xmas is gone.

• Nora

it is yule for the whole world. it is the feast of the return of the sun after the shortest , darkest day of the year. all coutures have a celebration for it.

Christmas is driven by commercialism and not by any meaning whatsoever. Sorry.