Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it possible to find velocity without time?

I'm doing a physics project about the velocity of a person falling off the tip of the Titanic. If a man back then who was averaged weighed about 70 kg, gravity is obviously 9.8, and the Titanic's length was 68.58 m, can I find velocity without time? Or if not, how do I find time?

P.S. I meant height, NOT length.

Favorite Answer

Yes. The work done by gravity is equal to the change in kinetic energy (KE) of the falling body. (Or soon-to-be body, for a man falling off the Titanic.) Assuming the man starts from rest with v0=0, then the change in KE is equal to the final KE, which is (1/2)mv^2. The work done by gravity is mgh, so equate these to get:

mgh = (1/2)mv^2

v = sqrt(2gh)

(If initial velocity wasn't 0, you have v = sqrt(2gh + v0^2)...try to work out why.)