Tiffany asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

4 month old staffy start losing hair around his neck....?

We found hairless spots behind his necks with lumps under his skin. The vet said it could be reaction to his injection that we dont need to worry. But then we found that he's losing hair at the front of his neck too, which is three fingers wide where his collar is sitting. Other than that, he seems healthy, very soft coat. He's also itching, but I found that my boyfriend didn't raise him properly when he gave him bath. We bathed him again and he's scratching alot less.

Furthermore, he stays home with me all day, so he's not stress or bored...We are very worried coz we met a bald 9 month old staffy on the street, Is hair loss common to staffy? What's the problem??!?!

Favorite Answer

i don't know about three times a year....but generally whenever he is grungy, after a day at the beach or getting mud, etc. a puppy can be hard NOT to bathe sometimes because of all the shenanigans they can get into haha, sometimes if only a part of them is dirty you can sponge bath that one area. I find I always have to clean my dogs feet haha.

Anyway the scratching could be a number of things. Not rinsing him completly is definitely one problem. He can get rashes and such. It might also be the shampoo you're using, it might be irritating his skin. Make sure it's meant for puppies and from a reputable company. If it keeps happening, try switching shampoos, he might just have sensitive skin.

It could also be fleas =[ have you gotten those frontline drops? Alot of vets give out a sample to first time puppy visits. If not, I would get them. They're kind of expensive, but totally worth it as fleas can not only bother your puppy but get al over you and your house as well as carry nasty diseases.

Since his scratching seems excessive I would discourage it. Try to distract him when he's scratching with a kong or whatever toy he likes best. I'd keep talking to your vet if the problem doesnt go away.

Source(s): 8 month old amstaff owner 8 year old pit/shepard owner

What? no it's not "common". However, skin allergies are not uncommon. Start with a high-quality diet that doesn't include corn or artificial colors or preservatives and launder bedding in dye-free detergent made for sensitive-skin humans. But usually if that's the case your dog is itchy and the skin "pinks" up and the eyes can look bloodshot, too.

This is certainly worth a call to the vet to let them know about the increased hair loss.

I'm guessing that "bald" Staffy on the street had an advanced case of demodex, poor thing. It's not contagious and easy to cure when caught early, when the bald patches are still very small. (The hair does grow back)

Bathing cause all kinds of problems. 3 times a year is plenty.