Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Worried about my baby..why would sonographer order another ultra sound to "monitor the baby"?

I have had several quick ultrasounds in my doctors office. I had a formal ultrasound on Dec 7th (with better technology) at an ultrasound center that my doctor sent me to, to find out the sex of my baby.

During the ultrasound the sonographer measured every bone and angle of the baby, he counted the toes and fingers and was very detailed and told me the baby was growing better than most at is age and my due date might be sooner (only by 2 days).

BUT at the end of the appointment he said "I am going to schedule you for another ultrasound in 4 weeks, I want to monitor this baby"

I asked him if something was wrong and he said "No, do you suspect something is wrong?" I told him no I was just being paranoid and he said its not paranoid..its just being a good Mom..

I thought it was weird for him to schedule me for another ultrasound AND ask "do you suspect something is wrong?"

Why would he schedule me for another appointment for 4 weeks later when he claimed everything was fine?? Has this happened to you? I am kind of freaking out.

Thank you for the answers so far..I am very worried. It could be the fluid thing, he did mention that we want the baby to be in plenty of fluid..

Thanks all.

• Lovely
    Favorite Answer

its probably just a follow up to see if something has grown more

they did this same ish to me with my baby.

her brain was measured a few cm off so they wanted me to come back and see if it caught up witht he weeks pregnant i was

its nothing to worry about, as long as u havent gotten a call from the radiologist 24 hrs after the appt then u are fine, or it could be your amniotic fluids are low so drink more water...

It is usual if something may or may not be wrong to schedule another ultrasound for a time afterwards.

The baby sounds like he is big for his dates. The most likely conclusion based on what you have said is to see if the baby continues to grow big. If so, it's not a concern except to ensure that you have not developed gestational diabetes and to ensure that all of the baby grows at the same rate.

Another reason could be fluid levels. I had big babies as well. I had a few extras scheduled simply to ensure that the placental function and fluid levels were sufficient for a baby of its size.

I would call your OB tomorrow, relate what happened and request a copy of the Radiologist's report. They are very easy to read and will probably only require a few term look-ups online.

I work in Radiology, but am IT not clinical. As a lay person, I can understand them very easily.

When I had my daughter she had to be check every 4 weeks because she wasn't putting on weight I think in your side it might be the oposite they want to make sure the baby won't bring you any complication by putting on too much weight like beeing a 12 pourds baby or smthing. as well i think it's just to make sure everything is fine that it wasnt a sudden growth and then that the baby goes back to his original growing path. Because everytime they bring back or forth the due date they have to verify it :)

Call your doctor tomorrow and ask for the results of your ultrasound. It could be nothing, but ultrasound techs can't tell you anything. All they do is send the results to the dr.

He is probably just wanting to keep an eye on your baby and make sure that the new due date is correct for your baby, or he just wants to be a good doctor and check up on your baby a lot. =)

That is odd. Talk to your doctor. The sonographer can only tell you limited things. The report is sent to the doctor.