What is Matzo meal made from and why is it special?

Favorite Answer

As with crackers and other baked goods there are some rejects, they are ground into meal, matzo's are an unleavened flat bread made for Passover, they are just flour, water and some have salt but basically a large cracker like bread, you can make matzo balls with the meal, cakes, in kugels they are an egg custard dessert or savoury side dish in Jewish homes, you can also use it to bread foods like fish and chicken

• ?

Hi flygram, Matzo meal is made from plain flour. Matzo meal and water are mixed together to make an unleavened 'bread' which is eaten by jewish people at times of passover and I'm sure other holy days when they are not allowed to eat leavened bread (bread that has risen) It does not look like bread as we normally would think of it but more like very thin cracker.

I hope this helps,All the best. Rab

Source(s): I am a Chef.

Probably because it's not Kosher. Anything served during the Passover must adhere to very strict Passover rules. Don't quote me, but I seem to remember that no wheat or flour was to be used during Passover.

• Red R

unleavened flour, and it's blessed, by a rabbi.