What do I do with a shoplifting ticket mailed to the wrong person (not me)?

So I came home from school and I found an e-mail a person that doesn't live with me. From the looks of it, it looks like a shoplifting ticket. Do I call the law office? Do I leave it alone?

Also, will I get in trouble if someone used the wrong information and used my address? I don't know what to do.

Oops, I meant MAIL, NOT e-mail!

So does this mean, whoever committed the crime, got out of it?? Since they put the wrong info?

Favorite Answer

I am an attorney and I know a lot about this subject. Do not take this as creating an attorney-client relationship. You may, however, find it helpful.

As the other posters have suggested, if your name is not on the document, it is not really a problem for you. In that case, the responsible thing to do would be to mark the envelope "no such person at this address" and send it back. If you don't do that, you may get more irritating messages, possible phone calls, and maybe even a visit from the sheriff.

If your name is on the document, then you really should consult an attorney in your area to see what you need to do to set the sender straight on the fact that you were not involved in the theft.

It is possible that by giving the wrong information to the store that the thief will evade any punishment. It is impossible to say whether that tactic will be successful in this instance, though, because there may be other means available to the store to track the person down.

Source(s): Extensive knowledge of the subject and experience as an attorney.
  • GlennM

Is it your identity? You may have been the victim of id theft... call the local police and explain to the detective on duty what you found, and ask them what to do.

If your name is not on it don't worry about it just throw it away and forget about it.