Parents when your kids start dating will you have the same Standards for both Genders?

I am asking because my baby brother is 16 and is dating a 26 year old women and i know if my parents knew they would flip out but i am the only one that really knows about it. Mind you i have 12 years on my baby brother and i have a family of my own. But i know this is sort of not realated but when my brother told me he was dating a 26 year old women i was flabbergasted and it for some reason got me thinking about the dating Standards we have for each gender.

So..... When your kids start dating will you have the same standards for both Genders?

And...

Should i get involved with my baby brothers girlfriend and him?

Favorite Answer

Same standards for both genders? No. Same standards for 2 of same gender? No. Similar guidelines for everyone? Yes, absolutely. If one of my kids is mature at age X and my other kid is not mature at the same age, there would absolutely be differences. And as for what those differences would be, who knows? It really depends on what the children can handle. But my guidelines for high school (which is what I consider the real beginning of dating age) would be to keep the dating to within the peer group (other high schoolers) or once becoming a senior, maybe (heavy stress on maybe) a college freshman (and only if he/she was a boyfriend/girlfriend in high school).

As for the 16 vs. 26 year old daters: That's wrong. The 16 year old really isn't ready for that level of relationship. The maturity level necessary to survive it just isn't there. It would seem that the 26 year old isn't as mature as her age would suggest either. Which implies that she could do some serious emotional damage to your brother without really knowing or meaning to. Let your parents know, especially if your brother is still living under their roof. I would say the same for 18 vs. 26 too. Your brother just needs time to mature, and to learn how to actually work at and understand relationships.

My children may all start dating at the same age as long as they bring home their date to meet us and don't go behind our back. My children will all be required to date people that are within 2 years of their age while they are living at home... I wouldn't let my teenage children date an adult 10 years older then them. That is just disgusting. I'd probably call the police on the child molester.

I hate to be rude, but there has to be something wrong with this 26 year old woman. I am 27 and I can honestly say there is not a single boy under 18 alive that I would even consider dating. What do they have in common? It is disgusting to even think of. At her age she doesn't just want to hold hands and skip along the sidewalk... Ugh.

• Chris

I have 2 boys so standards for both sexes won't be an issue for me. I would like to say that my boys would even have the same standards but honestly I won't know until they get to that age. 2 Boys age 15 may not be on the same maturity level (now if the boys were twins then they would probably require the same standards or very close in age as well). Just my thoughts on it.

He is 16 and she is 26, I say step in.

I will have the same standards for both. I hate it when people let their boys run wild and never let their girls out of their sight. I would defiantly do something about your brother, there is nothing right about a 26 year old wanting to date a teenager.

Same standard. My kids aren't even close to teenagers so I haven't thought about it at length. I guess I'll deal with it on an individual, case-by-case basis.

But 16 and 26, no matter what genders are involved, is a little dubious to me. 26 and 36 I can understand, but 26 and 16 is just so big a gap in terms of maturity.

But no. You're not his parent, you're his sister. Tell them if you're that concerned, but you have no place getting between them yourself.

ok thats just creep, what is she doin with a 16 year old boy..

No parents dont have the same standards, my brothers dating preferences were never questioned, my mum and dad didnt care when he left the house saying he was meeting her but for me it was a very different story.

i have 2 boys and want one more and if i have a girl they all will have the same rules. yes you should get involved what deos a 26 yr old women want with a 16 yr old boy anyways. very creepy.

I'd have her arrested she is a pedophile